Discuss Points on Travertine wall tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

marsaday1971

Hello

What size trowel do i use to lay travertine 12mm (40x40) on the walls. I was going to use 3mm. I also have a 6mm trowel if that is not big enough. I am using a powdered white adhesive.

I understand the area to be tiled shouldnt be plastered, which i have not, but the area where the tile meets the plaster above has a 10cm overlap. So i will be doing 4 rows high of 40x40 tiles and the top row will adhere to painted plaster by 10cm. Do i need to use my stanley knife and scratch into this plastered area to give it a better key ?

M

marsaday1971

IMG_0007.JPG Bit more reading and it says 6mm is good. I have done my top bathroom and all is good up there, just cant remember what trowel depth i used. Think it was 6mm, hence i am checking on here.

Any comments on tiling over a plastered area by a small margin. The rest will be onto cement board.

Also i am going to be using 3 tiles (40x40) as my splash back for the sink area (bowl on a cabinet) and this is painted plasterboard. Surley these 3 tiles will adhere all right to this area without any problems. Hardley get wet and weight will be low.

Also do you thin 3mm spacing is better than 2mm on 40x40 tiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

marsaday1971

Ok thanks for that. I am inclined to use 8mm.

Sorry meant 400x400 tiles.

I have the rear of the bath where i origionally thought i would just do one course of 2 x 400mm tiles, but i think i will make it up to be the same height as the rest of the tiling so it will be 4 courses of 2 tiles. The only prob here is that this area has been plastered and painted.

I understand this type of wall doesnt like a lot of weight so what do you think if i go for adding 8 tiles here instead of the planned 2. Is it a no no. I can stick with the 2 tiles if so.

Also do you thin a 3mm grout gap would look ok with these tiles. I have 2mm spacers, but i think 3mm may look better.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Points on Travertine wall tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB