Discuss polished black porcelain (again!) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nomates

hi everyone , i'm not a proffessional tiler , but have done quite a bit of tiling ,on a DIY basis before ....I have a question about the polished porcelain tiles I have just layed in my own home.....

they are 600 x 300 polished black porcelain tiles from topps , the guy's at topps were very unhelpful ,and when they knew I wasn't a tiler ...I must say asking for any advice ,was like getting blood out of a stone ...

anyway I am at the stage ready for grouting ....i have claened the transit grease off with 'fila' tile and stone stripper ,and have sealed the tiles with 'fila' polished porelain protector ....sold by and recomended by topps

firstly are the fila products any good?......and i'm worried about the grout staining the tiles (I'm doing a charcoal coloured grout)

what tips can you give me about the grouting ? ..and are the 'fila' products up to the job?

cheers in advance ....steve

here is a pic of the floor

009.jpg

N

nomates

Just ensure that the tiles are clean and have been sealed, if done well you should have no problems with the grout.

whats goin in that space where you can see the underfloor heating?

Welcome to the forum!
more tiles .....the wall is at a 45 degree angle ....and I needed to start on the right ,so left the tiles to go off for a day...then continued tiling the next day to go round the corner

T

tfs

your tiling looks good mate :thumbsup: but one thing I would say is that it is best to level over the mat with self leveling screed. When I first saw that space my intitial thoughts were that you were going to fix some type of fixture there, heat mats should not be installed under any permenant fixtures so between that and due to the mat not being screeded over I was just curious

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scott

Tiing staight over with adhesive is fine as long as its covered, Its prefered to cover it with self leveller incase you catch the mat with the sharp edge of the trowel.

Looks good hope you are pleased with it. One tip for you when you seal them, dont use too much as it only needs a msall amount to go over these. It doesnt soak in like it can on natural stone and you need to really buff it off to get a nice shine on it. It takesloads of cloths or tissue to get it all off

N

nomates

Ah ok .....thank god .....the loo ,bath and all cabinates are nowhere near the warmup pad . my missus and I didn't want skirting board ...so the tiles go nice and tight to the walls ......I ran out of money so plastered the walls myself ...it took a bit of filler .....but I reckon a thin seal with some black silicone sealer is all thats needed ......thanks for your replies I was just worried about the grouting .......reading a few horror stories ect ......just to let you all know I'm a plumber (heating engineer) by trade ........go easy on me :smilewinkgrin:

thanks again

N

nomates

Tiing staight over with adhesive is fine as long as its covered, Its prefered to cover it with self leveller incase you catch the mat with the sharp edge of the trowel.

Looks good hope you are pleased with it. One tip for you when you seal them, dont use too much as it only needs a msall amount to go over these. It doesnt soak in like it can on natural stone and you need to really buff it off to get a nice shine on it. It takesloads of cloths or tissue to get it all off

i used a radiator roller (the tiny sponge one) to apply the sealer ,I did make sure the tiles were quite wet ...guess i'll just have to buff and buff ...,the darker the grout ,the worse it is to get off .....i'm told ,just wanted some tips ...or methods in grouting as i've never known the correct way to grout

T

tfs

Just remove as much grout with the grouting float as you can mate, it will make cleaning much easier.Get as little as possible on those nicw white walls:lol:

a tip I would give for grouting would be to mix as per manuafacturers instruction (water ratio etc) and go over all joints a few times untill you are certain that the grout has been compacted fully into each joint, do these things and there will be less chance of your grout failing (providing you floor is solid)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to polished black porcelain (again!) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
We have just laid an outdoor patio and path using black limestone (now wishing I’d perhaps...
Replies
Views
Hello Tilers! I am a homeowner in California and I thought I'd come say hi in search of a...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
polished black porcelain (again!)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.