Discuss Polished Black Porcelain Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PhilGabb

I've just laid some Polished Black Porcelain Tiles, bought from Wickes. They went down well, were easy to cut, wet or dry, and looked good. On advice from Wickes, I applied their Natural Stone Gloss Finish. I challenged them about this, as Porcelain is not natural stone, but was told it was the correct product to use. I now have tiles with a blotched, streaky finish. Does anyone know how to get rid of the blotches/streaks, or how to remove this product?

PS - Annoyingly, I see that Wickes have changed their product advice to say that
This tile is pre-sealed, no further sealant required.
It did not say that when I bought them!

P

PhilGabb

One week on, and my tiles are looking good again. After talking to two numpties from Wickes customer service, I finally got hold of someone who understood the meaning of the word "service". She contacted the manager of the Wickes store, who rang me within 2 hours to let me know that he had polish remover ready for me FOC, and apologised for this mistake. I collected this (Wickes Tile Renovator), along with a free bottle of Wickes Tile Clean and Shine, and a refund for the original, unnecessary polish. The Renovator was easy to apply, and removed 99% of the polish. A bit of elbow grease, and a stanley blade scraper got rid of the last few bits.

Only downer is that we dropped a plate on one of the tiles and it has scratched it quite deeply. It is a half tile at the edge (goes under the kickboard of the kitchen units). Any suggestions on whether to replace or repair, and how?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Polished Black Porcelain Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, can I use BAL Quickset Render to level and area between Hardiebacker and drywall then cover...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought a house dated around the 1920/30s and found black and white tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi I would like to use some indoor tiles outside on the top of my fish pond wall, the tiles I am...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Polished Black Porcelain Tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.