Discuss Polished porcelain driving me mad! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all,

I've recently laid about 18m2 of b and q 600x600 polished porcelain (black). The customer bought these tiles back in dec 2008 but for one reason or another i only did the job last week.

The tiles are laid but not grouted yet as i am having a nightmare with the sealing process. The box of the tiles didn't mention anything about a transit wax but i thought i would treat it as if there was one on the tiles. After cleaning the tiles with the heavy duty cleaner to remove the wax ( the one recommended by b and q, i used that so it was all by the book) i left them to dry. At this point the tiles look really shiny like they should.

I've then tried to seal the tiles using LTP mpg sealer following the insructions on the bottle. I'm using a rag to wipe the sealer over, leaving it for 5 mins then trying to buffer (with a clean rag) to a shine.

The problem is its as if the sealer isn't going into the tiles and it leaves an oily like look on the tile.I've done it with hardly any sealer on the rag but it still leaves the oily look. I've done polished pocelain before but never had this problem. I've re cleaned the tiles again and they come up really shiny again but when i try to seal them the same thing just keeps happening.

I'm lucky as the customer is very understanding but i dont know what to do next. In total the tiles have been cleaned twice with the cleaner so i would have thought the wax would have gone by now but the sealer wont take:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Can anyone offer any advice, should i clean them again but with a different cleaner?
Am i doing the sealing process wrong?
The box says 'these tiles must be sealed before grouting'

Any help is very very much appreciated!

sorry for replying late, i cant remember the cleaner used but it was the one b&q say to use in the boxes of 600x600 tiles they sell now, it was just a heavy duty cleaner. I'm thinking of using LTP Grimex neat as suggested above? do you think that will get rid of any wax aswell as the sealer sitting on the tiles now? Its so annoying cos you just cant see the wax.

thanks for responses!

Reply to Polished porcelain driving me mad! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello Tilers! I am a homeowner in California and I thought I'd come say hi in search of a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Preston

Thread Information

Title
Polished porcelain driving me mad!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks