Discuss Ponderings about food shopping... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Howard just brought back some strawberries from our local greengrocer - they are from Egypt. :) £1.98 a punnet of around 15 strawberries.

I wonder how much will end up in the Egyptian farmers' pocket, how much in the airlines' pocket, how much in the import duty office's pocket and how much in the various middlemen's pockets until it arrives at the shop up the road, and he, good man as he is, is entitled to some profit, too...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

it is a sad fact of a farmers life. I was watching The People's Supermarket on Channel 4 on sunday night. a guy is opening his own supermarket inviting around 500 people to "invest" by becoming members and running the store on a volunteer basis, and the suppliers he will use will be the same as any other supermarket, but his aim is to get his suppliers having more profit whilst his store is making a profit. he's doing it for other reasons of course, like to show the Big 4 supermarkets that independent stores can also be competitive, but it was really interesting to hear about the farmers who actually make a loss per litre of milk they produce from their dairy farms because the big supermarkets have screwed them down on price so they can cream off the profits in the supermarket.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I don't think there's import tax on unprocessed food. Not 100%. There aint VAT on sugar, coffee etc anyway.

But yeah, the farmer won't get much, but to be fair he only does a small percentage of the job. If he didn't export, he'd manage with a tiny patch just for locals. So don't assume the farmers all don't do well. They do pretty damn good in the UK, even when they're moaning about bad times they're still making profit normally.

Not too sure if it still goes on, but to support the EU trade, farmers in the Uk were paid to tip milk away! That aint a bad job.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
it is a sad fact of a farmers life. I was watching The People's Supermarket on Channel 4 on sunday night. a guy is opening his own supermarket inviting around 500 people to "invest" by becoming members and running the store on a volunteer basis, and the suppliers he will use will be the same as any other supermarket, but his aim is to get his suppliers having more profit whilst his store is making a profit. he's doing it for other reasons of course, like to show the Big 4 supermarkets that independent stores can also be competitive, but it was really interesting to hear about the farmers who actually make a loss per litre of milk they produce from their dairy farms because the big supermarkets have screwed them down on price so they can cream off the profits in the supermarket.

Wonder if he'll get involved in the price fixing meetings for milk and butter :lol:

U

user123

I don't think there's import tax on unprocessed food. Not 100%. There aint VAT on sugar, coffee etc anyway.

But yeah, the farmer won't get much, but to be fair he only does a small percentage of the job. If he didn't export, he'd manage with a tiny patch just for locals. So don't assume the farmers all don't do well. They do pretty damn good in the UK, even when they're moaning about bad times they're still making profit normally.

Not too sure if it still goes on, but to support the EU trade, farmers in the Uk were paid to tip milk away! That aint a bad job.

I was just genuinely wondering, without judgement... these were perfect looking large strawberries, but very hard and not very tasty, the fruit I tasted in Cairo fresh from the market was battered but incredibly tasty, and with all the news surrounding Egypt it just got me thinking about what really happens. In Egypt anything imported, like shampoos for example or cornflakes, are much much more expensive than Egyptian food and everyone seems to know about it and shop accordingly - Egypt's own cornflakes were incredibly tasty, much nicer than sugary Kelloggs, and around 5th of the price! Saad kept telling me to go for the more expensive imported stuff, I think he was worried that I would not be used to their local food, but I genuinely preferred it, there was little to be seen with artificial flavouring even though all the incredients were listed on the packets... the shampoo I got was wonderful. For those into food and shopping, basically it was like our farmhouse or healthfood shopping, but much much cheaper, face oils and jasmine and ginger oils, for pennies... it just made me wonder if it made a difference to the farmer exporting these strawberries or selling them on the very busy local markets ....

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

theres a madness in this world G and its centred around money, why are we importing tasteless food and paying through the nose for it, we expect to get out of season fruit and veg any time of the year from supermarkets- why?

taste is sacrificed for appearence and longevity- why do we still buy it?

who makes the biggest markup and who has the buying power ?

the answer is to stay out of supermarkets and shop with your local traders, eat food in season and grow what you can

U

user123

theres a madness in this world G and its centred around money, why are we importing tasteless food and paying through the nose for it, we expect to get out of season fruit and veg any time of the year from supermarkets- why?

taste is sacrificed for appearence and longevity- why do we still buy it?

who makes the biggest markup and who has the buying power ?

the answer is to stay out of supermarkets and shop with your local traders, eat food in season and grow what you can

Mike, H bought the strawberries from our local small greengrocer, because he felt like some :) it's a family business that has been there for a couple of generations - they get their goods from Hull market... no supermarket veg for us.

Reply to Ponderings about food shopping... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
G
Ok so this was my 1st time having wanting to attend for years. Lots of my mates go each year and...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G
... checking stats for various websites I can see that some searches related to training...
Replies
Views
Derry
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ponderings about food shopping...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.