Discuss Porcelain Floor Tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

A

AlisonM

I have some large Italian Porcelian floor tiles but unfortuately they have been packed tightly for some considerable time and now that I have unpacked them the surface of the tiles have a chalky inprint of the rear of the adjacent tile. This washes off easily with water but leaves a "shadow" of the tile underside gridlines that can been seen in certain lights at some angles. I am not sure whether the tiles have been "etched" or whether they are stained. As I have 80m2 I am reluctant to use them if this cannot be removed or has damaged the tile so that any spills will be easily absorbed by the tiles across these marked areas.
Has anybody come across this befre and is there a remedy
Many Thanks

A

AlisonM

005.jpg This was really difficult to photograph so hope you can see this. In certain lights the whole tile has these gridlines across it. I do not know how long the tiles have been stored but certainly I think a couple of years. There were no paper slips seperating the tiles. I have tried various marketed products, acid, alkali and solvent to no avail. I wonder if there has been some sort of chemical reaction between the finished surface and the unglazed underside of the tile.

R

Rich

Sorry, I put up my post before I saw your pic and reply to Jay.

Did the chemicals help at all? If you have used cleaning chemicals on these tiles without any joy, it would suggest to me that they have been scratched. Unfortunately either way I wouldnt lay them, if you cant remove the marks with the chemicals then they are either scratched and ruined or have been stained beyond repair.

What products did you use on them?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Porcelain Floor Tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB