Discuss porcelain or granite or compac quartz floor tiles?? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I have about 30 sqaure meters to cover in my entrance hallway. i am really confused as to which type of tiles i should put down, should i go for porcelain, granite or compac quartz. the compac is really expensive in the Uk so unless i can find some where is europe that does them cheaper, i probably wont go for them.
Now with porcelain, i was told although it is cheaper than granite it is more durable. But my concern is that i do not want something in the hallway that will look cheap. besides i already have granite in my kitchen, so need something that will look equally good, if not better, than the granite in the kitchen. Will porcelain give that plush grand look that i want in the entrance? if so, any suggestions as where i can get them cheap in or outside UK?
finally, granite is the other option. Now i already have some in the kitchen and that is about 38 square meter. what do the experts have to say about granite floor tile laid in the entrance hallway that will be subject to heavy traffic?
now if i do opt for granite floor tiles, is it best bought abroad, because it is cheaper? i hear Italy does them cheaper??
I know there is alot to advice on, but i will be grateful for any advice. Thank you

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Importing 30m2 of tiles will cost you more on freight than it would on the tile. It's "expensive" in the UK for that exact reason, but 'they' import containers of it to split the cost of freight over the cost of each tile box.

I guarantee you wont get 30m2 of tiles cheaper outside the UK than you can inside.

So that leaves porcelain or granite sourced from the UK then!

You can get some really nice looking porcelain tiles that although they may be cheaper than granite will stay looking exactly as you purchased them for decades if not centuries. Though it's personal preference.

I'd recommend you get some samples from www.TileHQ.co.uk or www.TileGiant.co.uk and check them out for yourself. :)

If you get a tradesmen to do the job you could find that it works out about the same price as you can get the tiles yourself as he'll get trade discount on the adhesives and tiles etc. So I'd recommend getting a quote from a professional too perhaps.

E

eddiemck

not sure where you're based but driving to Italy to try to get a few quid off anything seems to defeat the objective. I'd go with previous advice, get granite if you really want it but investigate a good porcelain tile from somewhere like porcelanosa if you want a grand entrance that will stay looking grand. granite will age over time, even with proper maintennance and cleaning. add on any future re-finishing costs and the logic of finding the perfect porcelain tile makes even more sense.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
thank you very much for all the advice.

However i was wondering, to save the freight costs, will it help if i was to drive up to italy and drive back with the granite tiles? are granite tiles cheaper in italy?

Regards

I think you're taking the micky now mate. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time? Are you really that lonely?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to porcelain or granite or compac quartz floor tiles?? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB