UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Porcelain or slate or...... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Shropshire lad

Hi everyone, I've been looking round trying to get some advice about choosing tiles and this forum seems to be the best I've seen, so I wonder if any of you can help me.
I'm looking to put a tiled floor down in my kitchen, utility and sun room (currently being built). The total area is about 46sqm and I'll get a tiler in to do the job (don't fancy this as a DIY). The floor is suspended with wet UFH except for the sunroom which will be beam'n'block, UFH and screed. The boss wanted something that would be low maintenance and so started looking at porcelain, but I've now been told that these may well need sealing on a regular basis in the same way that natural slate or stone would. If we're going to have to seal etc and there isn't much price difference between the different types, what would you suggest for a kitchen floor.
I've thought about slate but seen threads with regard to stains and spots from cooking, is it hard wearing, easy to keep clean. Ditto with limestone really. It all looks great in the brochure but what are they like to live with. I've told the boss that we're only doing it once so let's try and get some good advice befor leaping in.
Any help, guidance, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated,
Merry Christmas,
SL

nybor62

TF
rotherham
the 1st thing you need to take into account is , that there is no deflection in the suspended floor make it as solid as you poss can , any vertical movement may result in tiles debonding to the substrate.

as for the tiles its personal choice , saying that i like slate and that would be my choice, if sealed correctly you should,nt have any probs with staining,

regarding porcelain ,you only have to seal polished porcelain

I

Ian

I'm a big fan of stone, so that would be my choice. As already mentioned above, lay it and seal it correctly and you will have a floor that will last for years. The suspended floor could be an issue, a little more info could be helpful. Also, not sure if you already have a tiler in mind, but there are some brilliant guys and gals on this forum who will deliver a spot on job for you, may be worth advertising your job on here.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

T

Time's Ran Out

1313071799814.jpg DSC_0823.jpg
Porcelain or Slate

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Porcelain or slate or...... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. Have a tiler coming in to do my floor tiles but don't think he's done a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Porcelain or slate or......
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.