UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Porcelain tile and scratches in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DavidJ

Hi
Im just about to put some Topps Tiles - Brussells Porcelain Item Code:811367 (highly polished) 60cm X 60cm (11mm thick) on to my kitchen floor (approx 30m sq), just have a few questions _
1- do they scracth/loose the high glossed polish easily some sites say polished porcelain tiles loose their shine/scratch within a couple of days of being laid?
2 - do they need to be sealed -if yes what is best sealer?
3 - Once sealed will this retain the polished surface?
4 -howoften will they need to be resealed?
5 -what is best product to clean tile with?
6 - The product originates in China
7 - Will they be prone to warping when fitted?
8 - Will they have a protective wax coat before fitting ? If yes how is this removed ?
9 - What would be a resaonble price to pay to have the tiles fitted ?
10 - could you reconend a better alternative -would it be better to get a glazed porcelain tile rather than a highly polished one?

Any advice on the above would be appreciated before I splah out on the tiles.
Many Thanks

DavidJ

A

akinsontiles

The unfortunate answer to yours questions are that Topps Tiles will probably be the best people to answer them. however I'll put my two pence in:
1. Possibly, depends on quality and if you are wearing hob nail boots or socks on them
2. Possibly - Porcelain sealer supplied by Topps will do fine
3. Probably - refer to answer 1
4. Dependant on wear and tear - would advise 12 monthly routine
5. I normally advise warm water and detergent such as fairy liquid dry mopped to remove smears
6. Lots of good tiles originate from China now so I wouldn't let that bias my opinion - market forces and all that.
7. Tiles fitted on a full bed to a suitable substrate should not warp however tiles may be warped prior to fitting. Check first!
8. A wax coating is often fsprayed onto these tiles to protect them during transportation. A cleaner can be applied to lift it off - see lithofin range for a good one. Its a pain - be prepared for some shoulder ache!
9. JUst get three quotes from local tilers to find an average price - post the job on the "tilers wanted" forum here.
10. There are numerous alternatives such as a conglomerate stone which may be more hard wearing or a natural stone such as cappucino marble but you would have maintenance issues with those too. Low maintenance would be ceramics with a glazed finish but it depends on your budget and the style you are looking for.

Regards

Paul

D

DHTiling

They can look the mutts nuts when laid right.. they do not scratch that easy and sealing is only to aid maintenance/cleaning of them..

If this is the look you want, then go for it imo...

One i did a while back..

polished porcelain2.JPG polished porcelain3.JPG

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Porcelain tile and scratches in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Our ground floor construction is a mesh reinforced structural concrete floor that was poured...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Ok I am fitting the tile trim L shaped aluminium profile around the window, Dave you are right...
Replies
Views
Q
    • Winner
    • Informative
So I was recently asked to fit some 3m x 1.5m 6mm thin porcelain in a new tile showroom. Mapei &...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.