Discuss Porcelain Tiles 600x300x9 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Razornut

Hi chaps. First let me make it clear. I'm not a pro however I've done my fair share of tiling jobs over the years. Mostly simple little anti jobs. Im about to re tile an entire bathroom 3 walls and the floor. In a mates house she is skint so guess who she asked. Couldn't say no really anyway the walls are covered in those god awful mosaics. I happen to know that 2 walls around the bath are studded. I very much doubt with any kind membrane. Or even moisture resistant pb. The 3rd is d&d the bath is going to have a shower in it so i will be tanking it. The question is this.. Cement board or wr pb but not skimmed... Thanks in advance gents. Or ladies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Strip the walls and see what damage is left to the studding. Repair or replace that with plasterboard throughout. Tank the bath / shower area. Make sure you use the tanking tape to physically connect the tanking on the wall to the shower base. You tank onto the base then by about the thickness of the tile. Then when the tile has adhesive on the back of it, it will cover the tanking so you don't see a thing.

Then tile. Don't dot and dab the tiling! Use the right tiling trowel. Needs to have 100% coverage in the shower area and 80-100% in the other areas. Use cement-based adhesive and grouts.

R

Razornut

Strip the walls and see what damage is left to the studding. Repair or replace that with plasterboard throughout. Tank the bath / shower area. Make sure you use the tanking tape to physically connect the tanking on the wall to the shower base. You tank onto the base then by about the thickness of the tile. Then when the tile has adhesive on the back of it, it will cover the tanking so you don't see a thing.

Then tile. Don't dot and dab the tiling! Use the right tiling trowel. Needs to have 100% coverage in the shower area and 80-100% in the other areas. Use cement-based adhesive and grouts.
i take it. By what you mean 100% i should use a half moon type. Not the standard addi trowl?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
R

Razornut

O

Old Mod

Glue (tile adhesive) and screw 6mm Hardiebacker, stagger and tape joints. Don't use their screws, they break, Turbo Gold seem to be the most popular choice on here. (Screwfix) simple and straight forward. Prime your timber floor with proper tile primer not PVA, wipe the backs of the Hardie with a damp sponge to remove any dust just before laying in to the adhesive. Should total around 20mm in height incl your tile.

R

Razornut

Glue (tile adhesive) and screw 6mm Hardiebacker, stagger and tape joints. Don't use their screws, they break, Turbo Gold seem to be the most popular choice on here. (Screwfix) simple and straight forward. Prime your timber floor with proper tile primer not PVA, wipe the backs of the Hardie with a damp sponge to remove any dust just before laying in to the adhesive. Should total around 20mm in height incl your tile.
Lets see if i understand you. ' use tile adhesive to fix the h/b to the chipboard then screw it ?? Sounds weird to me or am i being a bit thick lol i get using hb but gluinng it down and screws

O

Old Mod

Lets see if i understand you. ' use tile adhesive to fix the h/b to the chipboard then screw it ?? Sounds weird to me or am i being a bit thick lol i get using hb but gluinng it down and screws
The idea of the adhesive is to take up any unevenness in the substrate below, and is then mechanically fixed. It doesn't rely on the adhesive to hold it place

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Porcelain Tiles 600x300x9 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Hi, Running a small bathroom job for a customer. Customer really wants to use a particular...
Replies
Views
I'm struggling with a price on this one. Bathroom with 3 windows 57x100 (all at the same...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
Had a call back to look at a job this week to look at a vertical cracking that has appeared in...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
Lads can anyone help me out here , I'm on a job and the lady in the house is sayin my grout...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B
U
About a year ago, I had 64 sqm porcelain tiles installed on top of a concrete slab, forming a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB