UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Porcelain tiles cracked in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cheryl

Hi
I've tried taking a photo but because its just happened and the hairline crack is still so clean, its impossible to see on the photo. If it was the skirting causing the problem, I would have thought it would have happened in other places but it has only happened where the tile has been cut to fit a protruding corner (6 places so far), the crack is a straight line from the V of the corner, - hope I've explained it ok. I can't take up a tile because none are loose.
Re the underfloor heating - it is thermostatically controlled but I would not have thought it gets hot enough to crack a tile, especially a porcelain one - its only warm underfoot not hot. These tiles have been laid since July and it has only started to happen. Also, we waited much longer than the recommended 2 weeks after the tiles were laid before the heating as even tested.

C

Cheryl

Hello again,
By the way, thank you so much to everyone who is trying to help with this. At first I thought it might have something to do with the underfloor heating but the heating mats are about 30cms from the perimeter of the room and it is there (on the L cuts) that the cracks are. There are no cracks anywhere else (yet). Could the tiles be at fault or could the tiler have created weaknesses when cutting? I really don't think it is stress related (because not tiled up to edges) and absolutely no flex in floor. Where tiles are cracked, they have not lifted, it is literally a fine line from each right angle of the L cut.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
If it is only on the L-shaped tiles with the cut-out, are the location of these tiles at a corner where the skirting board is, or are they at the corner of the end of a run of kitchen base units? Are the kitchen units fitted on top of the tiles or are the tiles fitted around the end panels? I'm asking because if the tiles are scribed around decor end panels it could be movement here that could be causing contact with the tiles, and in turn causing them to crack other than movement in the floor. Locations of cut tiles would help.

Reply to Porcelain tiles cracked in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
HELP! I'm really hoping someone might be able to give me some advice..... our cleaner just used...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.