Discuss Porcelain tiles lifting and cracking after one week. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John Lyden

I am having a house built and the floor is 600 x 600 polished porcelain tiles from Pocelanosa. the total area tiled is around 150 sq M. There is underfloor heating with a screed on top.
The tiles have lifted and cracked after only one week. The builder says he doesn't know why. I am concerned that this problem seems to be in all areas of the house.Will the entire floor need to be lifted ? Can the same tiles be re-laid or will the builder need to order a new batch of tiles which could be 12 weeks delivery ?
Where can I go to get an independent opinion and expert inspection of the floor ?

P

peckers

More info needed as the others have said.
  1. what screed was it
  2. was the floor heating commisioned prior to tiling
  3. was the screed tested for moisture content prior to tiling
  4. was there expansion joints in the floor/perimeter of the floors
  5. if expansion joints were they repeated threw the tiles
  6. any expansion joints in the tiles/around pirimeter of the room
  7. what adhesive was used
  8. has the uderfloor heating been turned on too early or turned up to high to quick
  9. what preparation was carried out to the floor etc.
and some pictures off before and after tiling would be very useful.

As for an independant inspection the TTA do it but it is very expensive or perhaps a member from here who is local to you could possibly take a look.

You may be able to get away with re using some off the tiles but new ones would have to be purchased as well(probably) and then you could end up with different batch numbers, and this could lead to shade differences etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Uncoupling shouldn't really be necessary with Porcs but Peckers has asked all the questions I would be asking - especially what type of screed is it and was any heating commissioned first. suspect that once the information is available an independent inspection will not be needed as the answer(s) will come out in the course of the thread.

I would add one more question - what was the time interval between each stage of the job

B

Burnsy

Uncoupling shouldn't really be necessary with Porcs but Peckers has asked all the questions I would be asking - especially what type of screed is it and was any heating commissioned first. suspect that once the information is available an independent inspection will not be needed as the answer(s) will come out in the course of the thread.

I would add one more question - what was the time interval between each stage of the job

I'd be using a de coupling menbrane on that spec

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I'd be using a de coupling menbrane on that spec

Not saying you shouldn't Burnsy - just saying that you shouldn't need one (assuming the screed is ok of course). Natural stone I would totally agree but procs tend to be so much harder and more durable toward UFH.

Reply to Porcelain tiles lifting and cracking after one week. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Porcelain tiles lifting and cracking after one week.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.