Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Porcelain tiles potentially over weight limit: is this a big issue? in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

poiupp

-
UK
Without thinking too much about it (DIY job), we bought these tiles, and now I realize we might have made a mistake: Maddox Grey Concrete Effect Porcelain Wall and Floor Tile | TileMountain - https://www.tilemountain.co.uk/maddox-grey-concrete-effect-matt-porcelain-wall-and-floor-tile

I am going to use them to tile the splashback of my kitchen. Right now there are small ceramic tiles, which I will remove and replace with the new ones.
The wall is a party wall (masonry) and I assume is plastered... which I've just figured might be a big problem.
If I got it right, the weight limit for plastered walls is 20kg/m2, my tiles should be 20.6kg/m2 excluding grout and adhesive (so probably around 23-24kg/m2 in total?)

For the adhesive I was thinking about using the Mapei Keraquick Wall & Floor Rapid-Set Flexible or Adesilex P9.

Is this going to be a huge problem? I am not tiling the whole wall, the highest I will go is 75cm where the cooker is and about 48cm in the rest of the wall. Is this really likely to be an inssue?

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Without thinking too much about it (DIY job), we bought these tiles, and now I realize we might have made a mistake: Maddox Grey Concrete Effect Porcelain Wall and Floor Tile | TileMountain - https://www.tilemountain.co.uk/maddox-grey-concrete-effect-matt-porcelain-wall-and-floor-tile

I am going to use them to tile the splashback of my kitchen. Right now there are small ceramic tiles, which I will remove and replace with the new ones.
The wall is a party wall (masonry) and I assume is plastered... which I've just figured might be a big problem.
If I got it right, the weight limit for plastered walls is 20kg/m2, my tiles should be 20.6kg/m2 excluding grout and adhesive (so probably around 23-24kg/m2 in total?)

For the adhesive I was thinking about using the Mapei Keraquick Wall & Floor Rapid-Set Flexible or Adesilex P9.

Is this going to be a huge problem? I am not tiling the whole wall, the highest I will go is 75cm where the cooker is and about 48cm in the rest of the wall. Is this really likely to be an inssue?
I wouldn't recommend this as you have correctly stated that the tiles are heavier than the permitted weight for plaster, I actually use 16kg/m2 as a limit for plaster walls inc adhesive and grout, however, I do get asked to do this a lot, and provided that there is no comeback on me or my reputation if the plaster lets go, and if the area is totally dry and not in a heavy use kitchen such as commercial premises, then I will do what I am asked to do within reason, above the cooker however, I would be very concerned as the tiles will be cooled, heated and steamed, plaster isn't flexible, it is a risk!. Be vigilant and tap the plaster with a metallic object, and if it is hollow at all, then the plaster and bonding will need to be ripped off and replaced with a cement render or cement tile board in the area to be tiled, and fixed as recommended by the manufacturer. In 20 years I've not had a failure, but I'll only do this if my client is insistent and not worried about the possible implications, again I would not endorse it, hope that helps and the best of luck.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Ooooo we get this a lot.

Is it not possible to screw and fix plaster board or tile backer board?

You have to use adhesive dots on the back of where screw holes will be drilled and you have to get a good screw to go through the lot and into the brickwork.

But if you use a 10mm board and knock the plaster off where the blobs of plaster board adhesive would go, your board might be nearly flat with the wall and screwed on tight.

Speak to a good local tiler and they will be able to do it for you so there are assurances etc.

You don't want a tile and wall come off all stuck together and smash into boiling oil or whatever you'd end up with 1st degree burns with even boiling water at a volume.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
The working out isn't right really.

It's that weight per square kilogram so we can all be on the same page.

But if you have 16kg on half a square meter you're asking a lot.

To be fair if the skim is sound and you tap it all over with a coin as said above, then go for it but keep tapping the tiles every month or so as if and when they do pull off the plaster you'd hear the hollow sound (do a youtube video search for it there must be one 'coin tap test for tiling' I'd guess) first so at that point move the cooker and pull it all off controlled.

Don't dot and dab the adhesive. Use a "thin-bed solid-bed" trowel. They're sort of half moon shaped notches.

How did you find tile mountain as a supplier? What made you pick your tile?

(Just doing some research for our tile sourcing bit)

poiupp

-
UK
The working out isn't right really.

It's that weight per square kilogram so we can all be on the same page.

But if you have 16kg on half a square meter you're asking a lot.

To be fair if the skim is sound and you tap it all over with a coin as said above, then go for it but keep tapping the tiles every month or so as if and when they do pull off the plaster you'd hear the hollow sound (do a youtube video search for it there must be one 'coin tap test for tiling' I'd guess) first so at that point move the cooker and pull it all off controlled.

Don't dot and dab the adhesive. Use a "thin-bed solid-bed" trowel. They're sort of half moon shaped notches.

How did you find tile mountain as a supplier? What made you pick your tile?

(Just doing some research for our tile sourcing bit)
We have used them previously and we were happy with them in terms of prices and delivery times. I have 0 aesthetic sense so, about why those specifically, you'd have yo ask my significant other 😅

We should have done some research beforehand (which i usually do... extensively) but unfortunately we did not. And now I'm in the situation where we do it as a DIY job and I can't use premixed adhesive, and cutting the tiles will bean absolute PITA.

I guess I won't skip my homework next time!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Porcelain tiles potentially over weight limit: is this a big issue? in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I would like to use some indoor tiles outside on the top of my fish pond wall, the tiles I am...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB