UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Porcelain wall tiles - fixing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davmar44

Hi all and thanks for looking and your help.

We have just had an extension built, most walls are solid and have been boarded and skimmed. Couple of small area stud walls again boarded and skimmed. Approx area to be covered in total 95 sq mts

We have bought sealed Spanish porcelain tiles approx 12" x 24" and our stupid builders have spotted them with adhesive in six dabs straight on to the untreated plaster.

Result - yes you are right, after a couple of days they have fallen off and in the main the dabs are still damp.

Obviously the walls should have been PVA'd which I have now done myself but what should I now look out for in the way they are being fixed?

Thanks for your help guys, David

D

Deleted member 9966

Thanks so far folks - it is only a very weak pva that has been brushed on so presumably they will be able to prime over this? The main adhesive they have used is Palace Supergrip Acrylic. Obviously they are having to replace broken tiles and retile for nowt but I want to make sure they do it correctly

ready mixed & tubbed... not the correct adhesive in my opinion

D

DHTiling

You have 600 x 300 porcelain tile and tubbed( dispersion) adhesive isn't suitable for the format and type of tile.

You will deffo need a modified cement based adhesive to create a bond and higher tensile strength than the disersion one.

weight wise..not many porcelain will be to heavy for skimmed unless the are over 8mm thick..then they will need weighing.

Here is a weight guide that is floating around the forums..

Tiles and Adhesive Weight Per Square Metre - THE TILE SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Have all 95mts been taken off because if not you should be getting that done before you start to retile.
The adhesive that they have used will not dry for days if ever so you should find it easy to clean up.
My concern is do you have the confidence in this builder to provide you with the the finished result that you require.
95mts is a large area for 'Jack' to undertake!:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

B

Bolter

Have all 95mts been taken off because if not you should be getting that done before you start to retile.
The adhesive that they have used will not dry for days if ever so you should find it easy to clean up.
My concern is do you have the confidence in this builder to provide you with the the finished result that you require.
95mts is a large area for 'Jack' to undertake!:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

Just to stress that, 95mts is a very large amount of tiling. For a proffessional tiler I would expect that complete in 5-8 working days (maybe more) depending on what you are having done, just so you can see the time scale and size of the job. If these guys dont know too much it could take them weeks, and then not look all that great.

If they can provide you with a guarantee for the tiling as per British Standards (which is only a guideline) then I would be more happy if I were you, but thats even if they know the standards and why they are in place.

Good luck! And dont be afraid to ask for help! :welcome:

D

davmar44

Thanks to all of you. The builders have been told in no uncertain terms what they should be doing and, because of all your comments, taken proper professional advice which of course mirrors all that you have said.

They are removing all the tiles and the professional is sorting out primer and adhesive - I just thank God that I found you through Google - you have turned what could have been an almighty catastrophe into, hopefully, a triumph as the rest of the work done is superb.

Again a heap of thanks to you all for your time and trouble.

David

B

Bolter

Thanks to all of you. The builders have been told in no uncertain terms what they should be doing and, because of all your comments, taken proper professional advice which of course mirrors all that you have said.

They are removing all the tiles and the professional is sorting out primer and adhesive - I just thank God that I found you through Google - you have turned what could have been an almighty catastrophe into, hopefully, a triumph as the rest of the work done is superb.

Again a heap of thanks to you all for your time and trouble.

David

Good stuff! :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Porcelain wall tiles - fixing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.