UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Portuguese Grouting. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

keelbreeze

I am new to the forum, so hello.:hurray: I have just bought a house in the Algarve, the en-suite shower cubicle is a health hazzard. The tiles are attractive 50mm tiles (brown) the grouting has been done with sand & cement which appears to be holding dirt & has now changed to BLACK, yuk. Yesterday I took into it with a wire brush but the problem was it was taking the sand & cement off the wall & proceeded to block the drain of the shower tray. What might be the way forward to clean this. I was wondering if a brillow pad might be of use, I spotted a steamer yesterday, would that be a way forward? Any suggestions appreciated.

K

keelbreeze

I finally managed to get some photos as requested, the cleaner one is outside the shower cubicle, the dirtiest one is on the floor of the shower cubicle & the other is on the wall of the cubicle, any hep appreciated.:smilewinkgrin:

Attachments

• DSCN1570.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1571.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1572.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 32
M

Mike Mike

I took into the wall tiles with a brillo pad to try & make the grouting look half respectable, I think that is why there are different shades. The floor is proving more problematic, I imagine in the height of the summer it might smell.

Have you tried pouring beach onto them? If not, give that a try. Cover your drain with something that you'll be able to pull up later, then tip a bottle or two of bleach on the floor and leave it a couple of hours. See what happens to the grout. If it works, then you can put some bleach into a spray bottle and spray it on the walls and leave that (possibly overnight). Wear a face mask when you spray as you don't want to be inhaling droplets of chlorine!

If it's organic discolouration the bleach should kill it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Portuguese Grouting. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
O
Hey guys, So I got this terrace to tile and grout, thankfully only 3.2m X 900mm in these tiles...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
T
Dang diddly! In my mad rush to get as much of the shower alcove grouted before the epoxy grout...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, another basic question. How best or does it matter to position tiles where they meet in...
Replies
Views
silverpuma
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.