Discuss Poss Tanking problem? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lucasb

Hi Folks,

wondered if you could offer some advice?

I decided to tank the area around my new shower bath -walls are plaster skimmed plasterboard -not ideal I know but that's what was there :thumbsdown:, and I am now having a powershower installed. I used the dunlop kit -primed with neat APD, let it dry and then painted on the tanking coating. Problem is the tanking coat seems doesn't seem that firmly 'attached' -I can easily rub it off -is this normal? don't want to tile onto a surface that'll come away at the first opportunity!!

many thanks!

Lucas (newbie)

M

mikethetile

no it shouldnt rub off

the paint should be given 2 coats cross brushing each other and finish about 2mm thick, youved used apd which is correct, I have used the paint on tanking kits and tbh I dont trust them as the minimum requirement to waterproof isnt easy, theres too many variables in drying properly and giving a 100% coverage and ive been decorating for 30 years, the waterproof mesh is better and easier to use

were the walls emulsioned before you applied the primer

L

Lucasb

no it shouldnt rub off

the paint should be given 2 coats cross brushing each other and finish about 2mm thick, youved used apd which is correct, I have used the paint on tanking kits and tbh I dont trust them as the minimum requirement to waterproof isnt easy, theres too many variables in drying properly and giving a 100% coverage and ive been decorating for 30 years, the waterproof mesh is better and easier to use

were the walls emulsioned before you applied the primer

Hi -thanks for the response.

no walls were bare plaster over board -was plastered about 6 months ago. before tanking -or trying to tank! I very lightly abraded the surface with a fine sanding pad, brushed it down then primed with neat apd. let that dry then brushed the tanking 'paint' on -now been drying for several days.

prob try the mesh next time -been suggested I scrape it all off and forget the tanking.

L

Lucasb

Thanks for all the advice guys -its very much appreciated!

Will take it off and try again -one last question tho' just how firm should the bond be? -for example if the tanked surface is abraded -e.g if I catch it with a tile corner or similar and it 'digs in' should the tanking layer lift off the primer if rubbed then (sorry its such a particular question -never used the stuff before -and 'feelin' my way a bit!)

cheers!

Reply to Poss Tanking problem? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
Hi, Absolute newby here in terms of tiling. Having been doing lots of research and I think I`m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. So, I've been asked to do a bathroom for a customer but I'm not sure the best way to...
Replies
Views
S
I recently had a downstairs bedroom extension with en-suite built for my elderly parents as they...
Replies
Views
D
Guys I have a customer who wants to do polished concrete floors throughout his new build...
Replies
Views
Italy
I

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Poss Tanking problem?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.