Discuss Powder or ready mixed adhesive? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

Neil 28

Hi everyone, new to this forum so a warm hello to you all. I am about to re tile my downstairs shower room but need some advice.

Firstly the tiles that I am using are ceramic metro tiles 30cmx10cm and 8mm thick.
the surface to be tiled is aerated block coated in render, bonding and thistle multifinish, the shower area is made up of hardie backer board.

my question is will a ready mixed adhesive ie mapei d2 be suitable or a cement based adhesive ie mapei keraflex s1 be better suited?

In the past I have only used ready mixed but that was using smaller lighter tiles and they were installed in the kitchen and utility room.

any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
neil.

N

Neil 28

Welcome along to TF. I'd use powder all day long, I'm not a Mapei user but, would suggest their equivalent of weber set plus, it's cement based and slow setting.

thank you for your reply, to be honest I was stretching to the idea of cement based over the ready mixed one just thought if ready mixed was better suited to my type of tiles.

Reason for mapei is because that's the only adhesive I have previously used (ready mixed) and the s1 variant is low dust emitting.

naturally if I opt for the cement based i will be priming the walls with the appropriate primer, ie mapei s1 with primer G.

Thanks again, Neil.

I

Ian

Try the weber equivalent 'weber set'. it's sooooo much better, when yo go back to p9 you will insist mapei have started adding big chunks of sand to it and you will wonder how you ever got the stuff to stay on the wall

The best slow setting adhesive I've ever used. I used Ardex x77 last week and that is very nice as well, doesn't grab as well as the set plus though. Got the tilemaster equivalent of set plus to try as well, I'll review that when I've used it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Powder or ready mixed adhesive? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Agree
    • Informative
Is the issue with ready mixed adhesive seemingly only recommended for 30x30 tiles max that it...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB