Discuss premixed adhesive tubs advice? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

lcowner

im no expert and have only done a few splashbacks,small jobs for myself and family..what are ur thoughts on using premixed tubs of adhesive?i got turned of using them as i seen a job that a guy done on a bathroom wooden floor for a friend where he used shop brands woodies own premixed tubs and it was a disaster the whole floor had to be lifted (by me) the adhesive just never went off/cured?it was only 2 metres in all luckily and was lifted and cleaned up in 10 mins and managed to save most of the tiles,i always mix my own adhesive out of fear of the above
now maybe he did not prep right or was it the tubs of ready mix?

it would be a lot easier to use the premixed stuff as it saves time ect

T

Tim@Larsen

The long and the short of it is that all ready mixed adhesives need to dry out to gain strength. Anything which slows down the moisture loss, slows down the strength.

So if you had a big porcelain tile on a painted wall, for example, the tile and the wall act like a big flat bucket so the adhesive will take forever and a day to lose moisture go hard.

The main issue with ready mixed adhesives on floors is you can't walk on the tiles until the adhesive has dried out and gained some strength otherwise you will break the bond.

S

Stef

Just Iv always used white star as that's what the bloke used who iv learnt off and tile flair persuaded me to take blue instead, havnt used it yet!

They are both good adhesives in the right environment.
We used to batter up shower after shower with WhiteStar with ceramics.
I very rarely use tubbed now as if you work it out its more cost effective to use powder if you get it at a good price.
I stick to Weber powders as you can use them on virtually any tile.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to premixed adhesive tubs advice? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB