Discuss Preparing a damaged wall for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RichTile

Hi all,

After removing some old tiles from my bathroom wall there are some cracks and small holes in the plasterboard and solid walls. My tiler said it will still be ok to tile onto but I could use some unibond mixed with water to help prep the wall as best as possible ready for him to start.

Can anyone give me any tips please on the variety of unibond to get and what kind of consistency I should be looking for when mixed?

Is there any other things I could do to help the walls?
Is it best to sand back the walls after?

Thanks,

R

RichTile

Right ok thanks for help guys.

The holes (not many of them) are very small and there are just some cracks over the walls (plasterboard one side and solid the other). The room is a bathroom above bath but no shower.

If you can give me any product names I can hopefully apply to the walls just to help them as best as possible that would be great.
Would something like 'unibond' tile primer not be any good?

Kind regards,

D

doug boardley

Thanks for reply;

I can't make this out though

"Do not use any pva, acrylic sealers, Mapei G, Bal apd or sbr which is more of a polymer"

I was under the impression that those were the ones I should avoid?
whitebeam is saying "don't use pva", but the others ("acrylic sealers, Mapei G, Bal apd or sbr which is more of a polymer") are suitable primers.

With all due respect RichTile.

If

a) your Tiler has suggested using p.v.a / unibond and
b) asked you to do the prep work for him

He's not up to much in my very humble opinion, I don't like putting people down where I haven't seen or met them or seen their work, but it would be an hours work tops to prep the wall if it's only minor damage, I wish I could get away with it lol, the thing is, if we ( tile fixers ) do the preparation we know it's right, no comebacks, many times we have all had the calls that the builder says it's all ready and you get there and it's a shambles, ok, that's a bigger issue than yours but, he should still be doing it in my book.

Last edited:

Reply to Preparing a damaged wall for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Preparing a damaged wall for tiling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.