UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss preparing floor for travertine tiles - help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisdenison

I hope to complete in the next few weeks on a 1930's semi and have the idea of laying travertine tiles over the entire ground floor, approx 40m2. I have read a number of related threads on the forum regarding the preparation of floors but it would be very useful to have thoughts and recommendations for my specific situation. 80% of the area is suspended floor over which are the original floor boards, the remaining area is part concrete screed (small 1980's extension at rear) and a small area of original quarry tiles at front. The property has been fitted with UPVC double glazed front door (quarry tiles underneath) and french doors to the rear (concrete sceed underneath) . If I raise the levels too much I will impede both front and back doors. Read about removing floor boards and replacing with only 18mm/ 25mm wbp ply and tiling directly onto these to minimise height gain. Also heard mention in threads of decoupling membranes, ditra matting and backerboards. Any definitive answers please guys.

B

BARRONBATHROOMS

Decoupling membranes will help over come the lateral movement in the floor but the floor needs to be deflection free first. Could you not glue and screw 6mm cement boards to the floor and use a fibre based slc over the quarry tiles if you can't remove them? I personally find it difficult to convince the Customer to pay out for a decoupling membrane unless there is ufh and it then becomes a necessity! A solid deflection free floor is always a good place to start with natural stone!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to preparing floor for travertine tiles - help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.