UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Preping plasterboard after old tiles have been taken off in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Normally I have been quite lucky with old tiles leaving very little adhesive, or cut off the plasterboard and replaced it.

This time I've hit that awquard middle spot. I know I could tile straight onto the existing wall with some adhesive left on it but I also know that it will cause me loads of hartache.

What is the best way to prep this wall prior to tiling? I really want to have one level rather than several so that the new tiles will sit properly.

The client, who wants to save money has spent some time getting the hight points of the adhesive off. But there are some areas with adhesive on and then there are some areas where the top layer of paper has come away with the tiles, but hardly any areas where the gypsom is exposed.

Thanks

C

cornish_crofter

I think you're right.

I've done this before and it's worked.

I will probably do it again.

When I did some tiling for my BiL I did this and exposed half the outside wall of his bathroom. I think he got quite scared.

The chap who tiled his kitchen (and made a right mess of it) stuffed newspaper etc in his dry lining and used bonding coat to patch up. He managed to put in curves in the wall that weren't there. It was a modern house!

I did question at the time why he didn't replace the plasterboard as it was really shot. I don't think the 'tiler' considered that as an option.

I think the plasterboard may be coming off. With any luck I may be able to persuade the client that he may like to do it.

:grin:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Preping plasterboard after old tiles have been taken off in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.