Discuss Price Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Ant

Hi All

Just wanted to ask some basic advise on pricing if i may?

In general (small jobs, bathrooms, kitchen floors, etc.), when a customer asks for a quote, is it more the case the customer already has their tiles, or more often looking for the tiler to help choose or purchase tiles?

In the latter case, is it the norm, to say for example, log onto tile giant at customers home and choose some with customer, or perhaps go with them to tile store.

Also, would you expect the customer to pay for the tiles and then the rest of the job on completion, and would this be same for other materials?

What do you find works best for the customer?

Apologies for the basic questions, any advice much appreciated as always.

Cheers, Ant:thumbsup:

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
sometimes customers have tiles they have seen and sometimes they do have them,,either way always measure up and dont just tsake there word for it that they have bought enough. they may want advice as well on whats a suitable tile so it can vary ant,

i would nt log onto sites in there home i would choose maybe 2 shops you are happy using for tiles and direct them there,also open accounts in all tile outlets to obtain discounts wherever the customer ends up going

we always get tile money upfront and material money upfront. labour on completion

offering to pick up the customes tiles if they give you the job is also a good way of winning them over,this way you can also make money on the tiles

A

Ant

Thanks Kilty and Doug!

Thought it might be handy to be involved with buying the tiles just to get the customer a small discount and to make a little on them myself. Being new to the trade, i'll be going in with fairly low labour prices to start with so making a bit on the tiles and materials will do me good me thinks.

I've just opened a TF Arms account with Tile Giant, so i'll do same for a few others.

If the customer hasn't decided on tiles, i think i'll suggest looking at Tile Giant site and a few others or calling in to store in their own time, and when they found something they like, ask them to inform me so i can get them a small discount (say half the discount i get on trade account) on what they want. I'll obviously select the correct adhesives, etc and show them that i will be giving them discount on them too.

Ant:thumbsup:

U

united

normally Ant, I just go round and measure up, assess the prep work needed etc. I very rarely get involved in helping customers choose tiles as we all have different tastes. They provide the tiles and pay for them, I provide the labour, adhesives, grout and other sundries:thumbsup:

This is the way I do it too

If you start buying tiles for everyone then you will have to be careful about VAT thresholds as tiles are expensive and if you get a lot of work it could tip you over the threshold

O

Onlinetiler

This is the way I do it too

If you start buying tiles for everyone then you will have to be careful about VAT thresholds as tiles are expensive and if you get a lot of work it could tip you over the threshold

IMO this is really valid advice.
I'm crap at paperwork and have always found the extra time taken to administer the extra receipts, not to mention the time spent holding the customers hand while they hum and ha, isn't necessarily covered by the trade allowance you'll get from the shops.
Don't forget your time is money so don't sell it cheap.

D

david campbell

i tend to leave the tile choices to customers but if asked i will get there tiles for them(i usually have a few of the popular tiles in the van for that purpose) if they want i will however meet them in a tile shed i have a trade acc with and let them pick there tiles i will drop them off for them and give them a discount(not all unless it is someone i know) as this pays for your time! though you have to judge if these customers are too fussy and will take ages and many sheds to finally say they prefer the b&q ones they first saw

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
i dont mind supplying tiles, when i do a quote i measure up give them a price for the labour, addy and grout and then point them in the dirrection of the two tile shops where i can get a discount.

they come back with a tile choice whiich i price, if they agree the prices i deal with the lot, i pick the tiles up do the job and they pay the full amount when its 100% complete and there 100% happy.

this is only on tiles up to £500/£600 or i would get a deposite .

Reply to Price Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Price Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.