UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Pricing help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hello all
had a phone call today from a builder who I have done work for in the past but I haven't heard off him for I while. He wants to know if I'd be interested in travelling to do a house in London (battersea) with 3 bathrooms floor to ceiling and floors a down stairs tiolet and kitchen wall and floor. When I have done work for him in the past it's normally porcelanosa stuff so it probably going to be the same.Now he knows that I wouldn't be charging the same rates that I'd charge in Liverpool but I don't know what price tilers charge in London ways because if I'm travelling to London and tiling there I would want the same rates I was thinking around £30 per metre for labour for porcelanosa tiles but I don't want to be to high can any of our tilers from down south help me out here please thanks peter:thumbsup:

B

bugs183

It would interesting to know the rates down there.
This is a different baby to the work you've done for him before.
For London work i go in with a day rate.
I very often find that working here for meterage doesn't really work out as well as i'd have thought, especially as the tiles always magically changes into much larger format than promised!!!
You'll be needing petrol money,digs, parking and food money. This could gobble up £75-100 a day when you add it up.
You need to decide what you want to earn a day, then add this to your costs, i then add another little bonus onto that!

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Hi, do you have any drawings? is there many corners, reccesess. Before you give price, best if you know exactly what tiles they will use. Anyway £30 per sq.m is bit low. For example i charge for tiling floor (approx. 450x450 porcelain) £40 per sq.m walls up to £60 per sq.m. So i think you could easy go with £40. It is up to you mate what you going to charge :thumbsup:

Thanks for your quick reply bugs and tony much appreciated. The last few jobs I've done for this builder have been porcelanosa tiles so I'm expecting them. The job is still early stages as I only got the phone call today but he said the plumber and plasterer who are both from Liverpool have been staying at the house that were going to be working on when they go there which don't like the sound of but I'm going to get the plumbers number and give him a ring to see how that was because I think I'd rather stay in a b&b if it's a building site. Over pricing, day rate is probably a no go because I I'm quite quick (but precise)and I'd earn more money working on a metrage price. I will be looking at trying to do this in one hit because I have a good few weeks on at home but if the money is ok I'll do it

W

White Room

Hi, do you have any drawings? is there many corners, reccesess. Before you give price, best if you know exactly what tiles they will use. Anyway £30 per sq.m is bit low. For example i charge for tiling floor (approx. 450x450 porcelain) £40 per sq.m walls up to £60 per sq.m. So i think you could easy go with £40. It is up to you mate what you going to charge :thumbsup:

I take it those prices include materials Tony.....

The builder has already told me to include the diesel and said there is no conjustion charges and parking ect. but I think he's trying to save by saying I can stay in the house which I will if it's habitable. To be honest I think the job is pretty much mine as long I don't go to high. I was think of testing the water around 35 pm because to be honest I think that's what I've set my heart on, but I like your price better tony as long as people are prepare to pay you that then its happy days for you mate. Alright mat(bbb) How's it goin mate ye it'll be a good job if it comes off and I think it will I'll keep everyone informed on this one for all there help an ill post pictures of the job ( if it comes off like).

Alright fellas I said I'd give an update on this and here it is:
so I agreed a price with the builder £28 a metre and he was putting us up in a travel lodge which was a good deal for us. So with being from Liverpool and the job being in London i told my brother who works with me I'd pick him up 4-30am:yikes:. So pick him up gets about 1 and a half hours into the journey by keele service station and here's a thud and van starts to lose its power:thumbsdown: (you may of read me slagging my van off for always having something wrong with it every time someone posts "what van have you got" it's an 05 reg vivaro and its done 102,000 miles) so just manages to pull into the services which was lucky gets out the van and there loads of smoke coming out the exhaust. Head in my hands I was going sh** sh**sh** haha I phone the AA who said they would be 45 mins so goes and sits in the services has a cuppa till they come the man came said he couldn't fix it so he had to phone a recovery and tells me i had to upgrade my policey to get me home £145 :yikes:vehicle which takes another hour (more tea) and puts me on the back of his vehicle and takes me back to Liverpool to my mates garage, so 7 hours later after I set off I'm standing in my mates garage 2miles away from my house haha (I can laugh now) with him Telling me its the turbo and its gunna cost wait for it...... £400 ouch. I phones the builder who was already there in his van and he hired me a van to get there drop the van off and he'd drive us home with him on the Friday which was nice of him. But got the job 12 hours after I set off on my 4 hour journey and the job went great we finished Thursday night and set off Friday morning so home for dinnertime well in time to pick the kids up from school. Still having problem with the van tho had the turbo fixed and its still blowing a little bit of smoke out the back and chugging a little bit it's a nightmare honest they think it might be the injectors now ,time to get rid I think

Ye he is a nice fella to honest bugs, as for the van I'm sick throwing money at it this is the second turbo it's had ,alternater ,clutch, mass air flow ,egr valve, power steering pump, belts, thats all i can remember mate there's loads more, I've been on the phone to lookers for a new one well new ish 61plate 11,000 miles PX my van but they want £360 a month:yikes: for three years or £265 for 5years which I don't really want to be paying for that long but want something that still has manufactory warranty just to give me peace of mind

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
I've had power steering pump detonate twice and steering rack replaced - been faultless apart from that but mine is an 05 with around 100k so you've got me worried.
Might have to treat it to a service, never bothered in 4 years so I'm asking for it.
That builder bloke sounds like a top bloke! good result.

W

White Room

Ye he is a nice fella to honest bugs, as for the van I'm sick throwing money at it this is the second turbo it's had ,alternater ,clutch, mass air flow ,egr valve, power steering pump, belts, thats all i can remember mate there's loads more, I've been on the phone to lookers for a new one well new ish 61plate 11,000 miles PX my van but they want £360 a month:yikes: for three years or £265 for 5years which I don't really want to be paying for that long but want something that still has manufactory warranty just to give me peace of mind

What trouble did the egr valve cause you....

Reply to Pricing help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am in the process of tiling with subways and just wanted some help with corners, if trim...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.