UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Pricing question? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

carlito

Hi folks. I've been asked to price up a bathroom consisting of 54m2 of 600 x 400 travertine tiles, walls and floor which will need;

1) Removal of existing same type travertine tile 600 x 400.

2) Sealing.

3) Tanking of shower area.

4) Priming (using primer g)

5) Purchase of materials including tiles.

As far as i have seen so far the floor is on ply (Which may need taking up after removal of existing tiles? I have priced for straight tile removal and not reinstalling ply, am i right or should i expect to have to re- ply the floor???

Walls? Heaven knows what is behind the walls. The house is a listed building. I'll tell you all in another post t'day, but basically whoever done this job had spot fixed these these 600 x 400 trav tiles walls and floors and they are starting to are now giving major problems. i am pricing walls on basic removal, light prepping and fixing (Though i suspect a good few suprises.)

I have priced for everything other than the unforeseen at £3400. Would you all consider this too high or too low? Cheers.

B

bugs183

It's a tricky one to say.
Is it a complicated bathroom? Or are there boxings etc.
It sounds like £35.00 per m2 is around the average price people charge for labour and adhesive, so that leaves you with £3500-£1890=£1610 left. Divide this by 54 and you have £29.81 per m2 left. Will that even cover the cost of buying the stone? Plus At least 2 days ripping out the tiles, half a day tanking, supplying the tanking, and all the sealers etc. Not to mention the ply question, you really should be looking at backer boards such as marmox.
It really needs to be more, but maybe prices are tight where you are, or you're a bit stuck for work.
Shop around for your white adhesive too, you can get some good deals if you look, and on a tight price this is essential.
Good luck, JB.

M

Mike Mike

Hi folks. I've been asked to price up a bathroom consisting of 54m2 of 600 x 400 travertine tiles, walls and floor which will need;

1) Removal of existing same type travertine tile 600 x 400.

2) Sealing.

3) Tanking of shower area.

4) Priming (using primer g)

5) Purchase of materials including tiles.

As far as i have seen so far the floor is on ply (Which may need taking up after removal of existing tiles? I have priced for straight tile removal and not reinstalling ply, am i right or should i expect to have to re- ply the floor??? Re-board it with something better than ply e.g. Marmox or tile backer boards.

Walls? Heaven knows what is behind the walls. The house is a listed building. I'll tell you all in another post t'day, but basically whoever done this job had spot fixed these these 600 x 400 trav tiles walls and floors and they are starting to are now giving major problems. i am pricing walls on basic removal, light prepping and fixing (Though i suspect a good few suprises.) I left a separate response re listed building consent in your other thread. Depending on the outcome, you should consider re-boarding the walls in something better than plasterboard / ply if that's what's there now. Quicker to rip out than scrape off...

I have priced for everything other than the unforeseen at £3400. Would you all consider this too high or too low? Cheers.

WAY TOO LOW! Are you kidding me? That's £63 per m2 for the tiles, adhesive, tanking, sealer, ripping out the old tiles, disposing of the old (?), new stone, fixing the new stone. No way! Time and materials for all prep work and then either m2 for fixing new or time and materials again, whichever gives YOU the least risk and safeguards you making what you need to be making per day / week.

£62 / m2 for this is derisory! I should be double that, especially if these people are in a Grade I listed house and you are having to rectify a previous shoddy installation.

M

Mike Mike

Also, what's the story with sanitary ware in the bathroom, will that be removed by a plumber prior to you commencing work, or will your time get disrupted?

Don't mug yourself. I say you need to be getting at least £2500 for this work, plus allow £50/m2 for materials = £2700, total £5200, minimum.

If you manage to source the stone, adhesive etc cheaper then that's YOUR money, don't pass it on to them? Running around, searching around online, driving around, that's YOUR time, YOUR work, not theirs. Get paid for it.

C

carlito

Hi Mike, I Went back in at 6300 with backerboards. Just waiting for for them to get back. Thanks a lot fella. Just starting to get going and never done a job this big (7 mths in the game). Experience is a thing which cant be rushed right? but this forum and guys like you help to make up for it. Everything you have said in both posts is spot on. If i ever meet up with you. I owe you one ma man. Cheers!

M

Mike Mike

Hi Mike, I Went back in at 6300 with backerboards. Just waiting for for them to get back. Thanks a lot fella. Just starting to get going and never done a job this big (7 mths in the game). Experience is a thing which cant be rushed right? but this forum and guys like you help to make up for it. Everything you have said in both posts is spot on. If i ever meet up with you. I owe you one ma man. Cheers!

Hi Carlito, sorry, I didn't realise you'd only been in the game for 7 months, hope I didn't come across as sounding too hard on you. I'm glad you went back in at a more sensible price. Never sell yourself too cheap, especially not when starting out. I hope you win the job, and I hope it all goes well for you.

There is nothing more satisfying than doing a quality job and getting paid proper money for it.

All the best,

Mike

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Hi Carlito, sorry, I didn't realise you'd only been in the game for 7 months, hope I didn't come across as sounding too hard on you. I'm glad you went back in at a more sensible price. Never sell yourself too cheap, especially not when starting out. I hope you win the job, and I hope it all goes well for you.

There is nothing more satisfying than doing a quality job and getting paid proper money for it.

All the best,

Mike

And getting a sly beer to boot as well Mike!!:8:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Pricing question? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.