Discuss Pricing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Ash you say this is what the forums about so the customer & tradesman can be treated fairly.

There is fairly then there's people starting out & trying to make the same money as someone with years & years of experience.

I don't mean this cheeky but if you are out doing a job do you honestly expect to make the same money as & leave as good a job as for talking sake Phil Hobson or TJ?

Two of the best Tilers in the trade who have forgotten more about tiling than most out there know.

Sorry Phil & TJ but you were the best examples I could find on the forum..

M

Mr Tiler

Ash you say this is what the forums about so the customer & tradesman can be treated fairly.

There is fairly then there's people starting out & trying to make the same money as someone with years & years of experience.

I don't mean this cheeky but if you are out doing a job do you honestly expect to make the same money as & leave as good a job as for talking sake Phil Hobson or TJ?

Two of the best Tilers in the trade who have forgotten more about tiling than most out there know.

Sorry Phil & TJ but you were the best examples I could find on the forum..

that's not what was being said though mate and I do understand that this guy hasn't even been on here more than a month. but at the same time pricing comes into all aspects of tiling. that is all I meant. in this guys case if he knows what he is doing but is just starting out by all means a fair pricing of a job is materials and a drink on top not the full cost of a seasoned pro by any means.

Indeed,
2 posts with very little information given.

Could be a Roofer or a Gardener thinking how do I fill my days during the winter months?
Or a customer double checking the going rate - looking to drive a quote down as far as possible
Or a DIY'er who's done 1 job with 6x6 ceramics, & now looking to earn 35k as it says on the adverts in the paper

Or a genuine tiler wanting a few pointers to help him turn his quotes into work - a subject on which I have positively contributed to in the past..

S

Stef

that's not what was being said though mate and I do understand that this guy hasn't even been on here more than a month. but at the same time pricing comes into all aspects of tiling. that is all I meant. in this guys case if he knows what he is doing but is just starting out by all means a fair pricing of a job is materials and a drink on top not the full cost of a seasoned pro by any means.

This all comes with experience though Ash,
I know the argument about starting out & believe me I worked for pennies for over 2 years to get where I am now.
I will always help peeps out but when it comes to pricing then I think that's a step too far as there is a place for that.

R

RDTiling

As someone who has also not long started out in tiling, I admit it is a hard one to gauge. I am never going to be as quick as someone who has been tiling for years, so I've for all the jobs I've kept my prices lower but been honest with the customer that the reason for doing so is due to the inconvenience of me being in their house for longer.

The third job I done was a 5m2 kitchen splash back, which was a referral from another tiler. He said it should only take about 1 day to 1 1/2 days to do, but took me 3 - mainly because the walls weren't the best and I was wanting to make sure the finish was perfect and I used tubbed adhesive rather than rapid setting adhesive.

All I will say is that every job I have done, I have probably made a loss in comparison with more experienced tillers, due to the length of time I've spent, but for me the experience of doing it and doing it right is more important to build a solid portfolio.

To answer the original question, I price for preparation at a per hour rate, larger floors and walls at a m2 rate and kitchen splashbacks at a day rate/half day rate, depending on how long I think it will take (which is sometimes much longer than I estimated - still, I'll get better with experience).

R

RDTiling

as I was old the other day thogh mate it doesn't matter how long a job takes as long as your earning something your making a profit because its not like you have customers to fill every week is it.

Your are right - as I've not long started, I'm only tiling Friday Saturday and Sundays, whilst carrying out my regular office job Mon-Thurs. I've gradually bought tools as I've went along, which eats into my profits, but I can't do the job without them.

I only take on smaller jobs at the moment that are manageable in a weekend, however I'm lucky to get the opportunity to work with a tiler when I don't have work on, so I'm constantly learning - if only they done apprentiships for the over 30's, I'd be signing up!

R

RDTiling

Best way to start in my opinion as there is less pressure when it is someone you know, as they know you are new to it and they are probably getting a bargain!!!

My first job was a 7m2 kitchen floor, with 30 x 30 tiles I was there from 8am to 7pm Friday and Saturday and then 12pm till 9pm on the Sunday doing the smaller and awkward cuts and grouting. The job wasn't without its problems but I was pleased with it as was the customer which is the main thing!

B

Bubblegumsumo

Thanks for all your comments I don't mean to annoy anyone I was just asking for a rough pricing guide as yes I am new to tiling and I am starting this as my career

My thread was short a this is the first time I have used this type of thing

I won't be asking anymore questions as I thought this was a forum to help each other obviously I was mistaken and some of you don't want to help you are just here to be argumentative

thanks anyway

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Pricing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I gave a Rubi tx900 tike cutter and I am looking for a replacement measure bar ruler for...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB