UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Problem substrate - crumbly stone wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dean A

This is the wall in question... (wall directly in front on the picture)

SPA51871_800x600_.JPG

I have taken all of the previous tiles off, rubbed the painted wall down and stripped off the old adhesive. I am left with an uneven, crumbly wall :smash:

The surface is cracked, and it won't take the weight of the travertine large format tiles. My plan was to try and remove the surface layer and replace with fresh mortar.

I have also read of people using a thick layer of fast setting addy to even out walls.

Any last minute advice chaps?

D

Dean A

Lots of mess, lots of fun today!

Pictures:

SPA51874_800x600_.JPG

Most of the render is shot, it literally fell off with the tiles.

It seems some of it has been repaired in the past, as seen in the piccy:

SPA51876_800x600_.JPG

It's seems to be stuck well, but its covered in paint and smooth plaster.

Should I take it all back and start again, or can I leave the good render on and somehow prepare the smooth plaster (take it off!) ?

:dizzy2:

New ply floorboards are going down later, after I have sorted the woodworm problem in the joists!!

D

Dean A

Plan today is to roughly render the wall to fill in the gaps between the stone, before dot and dabbing hardibacker to the wall.

I assume new render will be better for this job than simply packing the stone wall with single part addy?

EDIT: I picked up some fast setting non flexible addy to attached hardibacker to the walls (dot dabbing) - I assume it doesn't need to be flexible as it shouldn't be going anywhere! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Problem substrate - crumbly stone wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I would just like to start off by saying that I've been in the construction industry...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I would just like to start off by saying that I've been in the construction industry...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
O
So after a couple of weeks trialing @ISOMAT UK products, thought it was time to give initial...
Replies
Views
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.