UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss problem tiling onto bonding plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cowgomoo

Hi y'all, I know this is a big no no but what is the exact reason behind the wisdom. Is it a chemical thing or a strength thing or just what precisely ? My prospective client is assured by the plasterer that it is ok as he has done it loads of times before but I want / need the job and don't want to walk away from it so if you could give me the precise reason I would be most appreciative.

Cow.

W

White Room

If you soaked bonding in sbr you could probably be safe, The finish depends how long the base coat was applied...

With multi finish now which is a slow setting plaster should be applied the same day while the undercoat has moisture to allow the finish to set properly...but if the basecoat has dried out and a finish is used the basecoat will pull the moisture out of the finish and weakin it and make it unstable to the base coat.

For sand/cement undercoat the finish should be applied the next day to the basecoat to allow set/cure and must be applied while the moisture in the undercoat allows the two to bond together.

These determine how good the finish will be for tile weights, there are many more reasons for failure, age of plaster being one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

newton&stockley

sorry to say but the adhesive manufactor's state as long as you pva 5:1 beforehand you shouldn't have any problems. I always ring the tech departments if im not sure.... they are the one's that offering the 25 year guarantee. the real reason not to tile onto bonding is it absorbs the moisture from the adhesive. If the client is still not happy and doesn't want any exta wok just get them to sign a weiver. Hope this helps

D

DHTiling

sorry to say but the adhesive manufactor's state as long as you pva 5:1 beforehand you shouldn't have any problems. I always ring the tech departments if im not sure.... they are the one's that offering the 25 year guarantee. the real reason not to tile onto bonding is it absorbs the moisture from the adhesive. If the client is still not happy and doesn't want any exta wok just get them to sign a weiver. Hope this helps

Which one recommends this then..?

C

Colour Republic

It's funny because only 2 days ago I had an arguement with a guy who hasn't done a lot of work for me over tiling on to bonding.

In a bathroom we are doing he asked the plasterer not to skim the back wall above the bath as it was being tiled, I turned up on site and asked why it hadn't been. Usual arguement "I've been doing it for 40 years..." I skimmed it myself there and then, went to the pub and we met up with 3 or 4 other builders.. all told me I was talking out my arse, one chipped in they had just been on a new site were the tilers had gone straight on to bonding in 25 new bathrooms, another said last year they tiled Trav straight on to bonding in a £25k bathroom as if the price made it ok...

I was up against it! But I love the iPhone...

"...If plastering to provide a background for tiles, avoid polishing the surface. Polished plaster should be roughened and a suitable primer used. Tiles should not be applied directly to Thistle undercoats, with the exception of Thistle Dri-Coat."

Broken Link Removed

1. "When it is known in advance that tiles are to be fixed to a plastered wall, it is essential that there should be good adhesion between the undercoat and the plaster finish coat. Tiles should only be fixed to the finish coat and must not be fixed directly to a gypsum undercoat."
Tiling to Gypsum Plaster

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

sorry to say but the adhesive manufactor's state as long as you pva 5:1 beforehand you shouldn't have any problems. I always ring the tech departments if im not sure.... They are the one's that offering the 25 year guarantee. The real reason not to tile onto bonding is it absorbs the moisture from the adhesive. If the client is still not happy and doesn't want any exta wok just get them to sign a weiver. Hope this helps

pva??????????

G

Gazzer

Shouldn`t is not the same as wont in my book !

And waivers are not worth the paper they are written on depending on how good the solicitor is .

Reply to problem tiling onto bonding plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi. I hope its ok to ask a question on here. I am changing my shower surround. The tiles in my...
Replies
Views
Sorry for asking a question that I already think i know the answer to but I just need...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.