Discuss Problem with sealed travatine floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

D

DUBY

I need some help guys as this really ahs me stumped.

I recently installed 40sqm of travertine floor. After grouting the entire surface it was mopped a number of times with resin remover diluted in water. Once the floor had been mopped the bucket was emptied and replaced with clean water and fresh cleaner. The process was done a number of times.

Colour enhancement sealant was then applied. When wet the floor looked stunning but once dry in 1 area the surface of the tile looked dirty. This area lies between 2 windows and the constant sunlight highlighted the problem. If we cover 1 window the floor looks perfect, so we tried to remove the sealant with sealant remover, now it looks even worse.

Does any one have a past experience with removing sealant or can any one offer any alternative suggestion other than install curtains. lol

Thanks in advance

Jose

D

DUBY

The floor was finished then cleaned and the following day grouted, the grout was allowed to dry until it was solid enough to pass a sponge over without removing the grout from the joints.

At this stage the floor was cleaned about 3 times then before we left for the day sealed.

The following morning is when we discovered the problem. I believe that when we cleaned the floor we dragged grout across the surface which is the dirty mark I spoke about. However the problem became worse when we tried to strip the sealant away to start the resealing process again in that area. We have now tried to remove the sealant twice using only fila products as per their guidelines.

I don’t want to polish the floor with a machine because we were trying to achive a natural finnish

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DUBY

no, if we had some one would have be sacked.

After washing the floor for the final time the stone was allowed to dry and before we finnished for the day and the floor was sealed, I belive however that there must have been small traced of resedue on the surface of the tile which left the marks.

99% of the floor looks perfect, the light entering the corridor from both ends has shown the problem up (about 2sqm in a 40 sqm floor). However as mentioned when we tried to strip the sealant away with the fila recomended products it just made it worse.

So my question was has anyone come across the result of the stripping before and if so how was the problem solved

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Problem with sealed travatine floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB