UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Problems with BAL charcoal grouts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

Has any body had the same problem. I used BAL charcoal grout on a job I did the other week. I applied the grout as I always do. The customer rang me the next day and said the grout was blue. I went to see and it was as blue as blue can be it looked like I had spilled the chalk from my chalk line on the floor. I then rang BAL technical and can u guess what the said ? Yes that is Efflorescence . So I called the BAL rep to cut a long story short BAL’s answer to the problem was to offer me a couple of free bags of adhesive.
My answer was no thanks I will just use mapei or weber from now on. “25 year guarantee my but”

M

MICK the Tiler

Very strange Dean. What has the client said to you at this stage? Will it need to come out? What an absolute bugger that would be.

I had a similar problem on a job just before xmas, bought my regular quota of sanded grey grout went and used it on a job and it just felt different, so rang the company they came and had a look to a sample and got back to me within 3 days with the explanation. "It seems the factory has put NON-Sanded grout into sanded grout bags" SHEESH!!! how hard can it be to bag the stuff up correctly.

C

CBTC

I had a problem with Bal ivory that dried very unevenly and stayed that way. All the process was done correctly let me say. Bal came out and duly produced a report, which cleared themselves. The guys who came out were the most helpful; they were coming accross this fairly regularly and it was always with porcelain tiles, but in certain circumstances. The thinking was that the lack of porosity in the tile, was sometimes affecting the dry out process, causing efflouresence and an uneven dry out. The quiet advice was that Mapei, which uses a different type of cement (higher aluminum content I think) than OPC was better for porcelain tiles. I stick with Mapei for porcelain for that reason. In any case where black grouts are used it usually means a return once dry to clean down the tiles with a haze removerbefore they look as they should - it just doesnt seem to be able to be done in the clean down process alone.
The case of the charcol going blue !! yikes that cant be right:oops:

G

Gazzer

I did a job last year and the client supplied Charcoal (BAL) grout. It was a lobby to a shop and the floor and 2 walls were tiled in the same tile. They didnt have enough grout in the end and all i had avaialble on a Sunday was Mapei black grout. So on their instruction ( shop was being opened on the monday) the walls were grouted in Mapei and floor in BAL.
Looked the same until it dried and then the floor grout looked lighter and patchy. The wall grout was great. the client wasnt over bothered as i had explained it could be a different shade when dry and didnt even bother that much with the patches of lighter grout. they felt that as it was a floor and it will be subject to wetting due to it being on a high street entrance.
They also said that it was a good job the grouts werent used the other way around as it would be more noticable.

Q

Qwerty

Hi @bendle , it's great to see people like yourself are using the forums search facility to resurrect old posts they feel they can contribute to or benefit from.
This thread is 7 years old!

To answer your question....... did you mix as per instructions? (ratios, waiting time, remixing etc) Also, did you shake the bag a few times before opening. Sounds silly but it really can help with mixing up the powder with the dye powder etc.

Got any photos?

B

bendle

I did a job last year and the client supplied Charcoal (BAL) grout. It was a lobby to a shop and the floor and 2 walls were tiled in the same tile. They didnt have enough grout in the end and all i had avaialble on a Sunday was Mapei black grout. So on their instruction ( shop was being opened on the monday) the walls were grouted in Mapei and floor in BAL.
Looked the same until it dried and then the floor grout looked lighter and patchy. The wall grout was great. the client wasnt over bothered as i had explained it could be a different shade when dry and didnt even bother that much with the patches of lighter grout. they felt that as it was a floor and it will be subject to wetting due to it being on a high street entrance.
They also said that it was a good job the grouts werent used the other way around as it would be more noticable.
Hi @bendle , it's great to see people like yourself are using the forums search facility to resurrect old posts they feel they can contribute to or benefit from.
This thread is 7 years old!

To answer your question....... did you mix as per instructions? (ratios, waiting time, remixing etc) Also, did you shake the bag a few times before opening. Sounds silly but it really can help with mixing up the powder with the dye powder etc.

Got any photos?
hi there, haven't got any photo's and the job looks fine. mixed my grout as normal, just a black residue coming off. could if be the grout? iv'e noticed other people having issue's with bal micromax.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Chobham
Has anyone had a problem with bal micromax ebony? just did a couple of floors recently and there is black dye still coming off if you run a finger along the grout line.
I have just grouted a feature panel in a shower with micromax ebony and found it was giving off black traces still although I put this down to a bad wash down. I may have to go back and have another look

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Problems with BAL charcoal grouts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.