Discuss problems with recently laid floor, tiles cracking or working loose in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

endurorally

Hi All
I need some advice.
We have recently had a large kitchen extension built which involved the knocking though of two rooms and a large new section. Total area is 45m square. The new section has a concrete block and beam floor. In one of the original rooms the existing screed floor was dug out and a leveller applied to get it approximately level with the rest of the extension. Whilst the last remaining section was left as existing screed floor. Electric heat mats were laid throughout the area and a levelling solution was applied over the heat mats. Due to fact the floor was still relatively uneven and in some parts the electric heat mat was still exposed, the tiling contractors said that they were going to have to use a "spot and dab" method to achieve a level floor and not damage the heat mats.
The tiles are ceramic, 560 x 310mm laid in brick style.
The floor is very level and looks good, however three months later a couple of tiles have cracked exposing holes underneath and in another area the tiles are beginning to work loose. Tapping a number of tiles they sound quite hollow and I am worried that I may experience several more loose or cracking tiles over a period of time.
What is the best way to proceed? The tilers were recommended by my builder (his brothers!) Who do you think is at fault? Should the builder have made more effort to make the floor level in the first place and cover all of the heat mat? The adhesive is up to 30mm thick in places. Should all the hollow sounding tiles by pulled up and re-laid?

Help!

D

Daz

An incorrect fixing method has been used and as Dave advised, you need to discuss this with the installers.

If there has been 2 separate pours of levelling compound the floor should have been fairly flat, so has the installer tried to bring it up to level rather than leaving it flat? (there is a difference). The bottom line is that an experienced tiler will advise if a floor is not suitably prepared and suitable for tiling prior to commencement.

It sounds as though further preparation work should have been carried out before tiling commenced, IMO.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
You need to get the "tilers" back to redo the floor.Dot & dabbing is a quick fix that quickly goes wrong.All the advice youll need is on this site,keep updating as im sure they will be telling you there only going to replace the bad tiles,and no more will go wrong.Welcome to TF.

Reply to problems with recently laid floor, tiles cracking or working loose in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
problems with recently laid floor, tiles cracking or working loose
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.