Discuss Problems with tiling over tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

PeterH

Hi,

I'm after some advice from professional tilers after encountering problems with the new house I bought new from developers just over 2 years ago.

I noticed some rust coloured stains on the mosaic strip in my bath/shower. I sprayed with flash and scrubbed lightly with a nail brush and away came the stain and all of the grout too (albeit only in patches). I dug out all of the loose grout/adhesive with a small screwdriver and a few of the mosaics were loose and came out. There was a "mush" behind which came off easily to reveal another set of tiles behind.

What I think may have happened is that a previous purchaser had wanted the tiles changing so where the developer could, he just tiled over. I think that mosaic which includes alternate squares and metal faced circles let water in behind the metal circles.

I'm interested in opinions as to whether:

a) these metalic circles are prone to problems;
b) tiling over tiles is an acceptable professional standard for a brand new house;

Clearly I am concerned that I am going to have similar problems with the large tiles next and indeed if I'll have the same problem in the other batchroom.

Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Regards

Pete

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Problems with tiling over tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB