UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Profiling on stone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Bri,

Can you get down to Cambridge at any time? You're welcome to have a go with my variable speed grinder, profile router and polishing pads, mate. I'll show you how I do it and you can see of it is for you before you spend your dosh.

Let me know,

Daz

Cambridge isn't far from me really Daz so that would be great. I've got some spare time in a couple of weeks so I'll PM you to give you some notice. Many thanks mate.

D

DHTiling

Listen Cilla, stop being pushy and let relationships develop naturally :lol:

kiss-106.gif

G

Gazzer

I've had a look through all the links for tools and attachments that people have kindly posted on this thread and to be honest I'm a bit confused as to what is the best option and what would be a fair price to pay, so a demonstration/training event would be just the ticket to not only learn how to achieve this look but, also what to achieve it with.

i am more than happy with these items I bought from Ebay. It was recommended by a stone mason I was chatting to. Its a good way and fairly cheap way to get started, then you can decide whether to upgrade.
As others may have said though, it will take practice.
Ebay item 120742882419

S

simmy08

I have a wet flex polisher and pads, diamond hand pads,router bits and profile wheels. I use these tools depending on what i am working with. Example, if it is a 10mm porcelain or stone, i will use the router bits to achieve a profile and then the hand pads to polish. If it is thicker i will use the dewalt to start the profile. i would then use a diamond face grinding disk followed by the wet flex to polish up.
If i had the knowledge then i have now i would probably have bought an oscilating mouse sander of some kind and applied dry polishing pads to it. I find that using a rotating wet polisher is ok for large area polishing but for profiles on the edge of tiles, a flat surface oscilating on it would be easier to use in my opinion.
If anyone would be interested in seeing the diffrerent tools and methods in action id be happy to let people have a go.

A

Alphadock

i am more than happy with these items I bought from Ebay. It was recommended by a stone mason I was chatting to. Its a good way and fairly cheap way to get started, then you can decide whether to upgrade.
As others may have said though, it will take practice.
Ebay item 120742882419
Sir Ramic,
How were you able to plug this in in the uk? With a travel adapter?
I looked into these to try as a cheap option but couldn't get a straight answer from the seller as to whether I could use it at 110V, i.e. for site work.

J

jonnyc

just picked this thread up.
i get all those bits for profiling at stone tools and nationa masonary.
the other great tool that we use is a water fed router made by dewalt
you can then rout a full 30mm bullnose in one go rather having to flip the stone upside down using a quarter round profile.
I have done dozens of pools using thius tool.
you can then simply order stone /template/cut profile everything on site without sending off to a stone yard.
you would not believe how much stone yards charge for doing this type of work .
you can charge 40 % less and still make very good money.
you can see an example of what weve done with this router under my gallery.
you will need to click on more and on second page will see heading recent pool job.
evrything was done on site including the vertical curved wall to jacuzzi which was fixed with tiles and then ground and polished to perfect curve of radius edge detail above

J

jonnyc

sorry forgot to hwere can buy from.
stone machinery uk(formerly national masonary) sell it for £ 545.00 which is less than what i was paying 15years ago.
a 30mm bit used to cost around £ 100.00 .
you can get all sorts of bits for it but think can only bullnose to 40mm.
the beauty of this tool is that it is quite small and easy to carry around.
i used to take it with me for jobs abroad . could save the stone company the danger of sending a vanity for instance with precut out hole for underhung sink.
we could take the slab in van with us and template /cut at the job.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Profiling on stone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Would anybody have any advice the best way to silicone these bumpy tiles. I think doing a bead...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.