Discuss profiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

merit

TF
trying to get on in my own bathroom between jobs and getting geared up for profiling travertine, what would be the best options to buy, profiling bit that fits to the grinder,
or that fits to the dewalt, dont want to be chopping n changing ,also advise on the polishing dsks, dry /wet do i buy a full set or just enough grades to get me going, ive not got mountains to do but a coupla niches and boxings, so keen to try em out on my own bathroom cheers pointers where to purchace appreciated

C

Concrete guy

For travertine you just don't need diamond pads unless you're doing loads of it (hundreds of liners meters) or thinking ahead to keep them for future jobs/long term as a one type of pad does everything product, for the toolbox.

Silicon carbide pads will do exactly what you need on travertine, limestone. marble & porcelain (well known brand names = Hermes and Sait). You really only need diamond pads for hard materials such as granite or for lots of less dense material as long term it becomes more economical.

The Dewalt profiler is great for skirting tiles, step tread edges, window surrounds etc This will be faster than a grinder profiler - its wet to start with and everything is held pretty well whilst it's cutting.

The variable speed grinder profilers are more flexible in so much as the can profile a curve or a product simply to large or thick to fit in the Dewalt - think along the lines of a 20mm thick single piece step tread at 1200mm long, something that wouldn't be possible with the fixed Dewalt wheel. These cannot be used in a regular angle grinder at 10,000rpm plus it's just too aggressive, you'll need a variable speed machine.

Any other questions just fire away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

For travertine you just don't need diamond pads unless you're doing loads of it (hundreds of liners meters) or thinking ahead to keep them for future jobs/long term as a one type of pad does everything product, for the toolbox.

Silicon carbide pads will do exactly what you need on travertine, limestone. marble & porcelain (well known brand names = Hermes and Sait). You really only need diamond pads for hard materials such as granite or for lots of less dense material as long term it becomes more economical.

The Dewalt profiler is great for skirting tiles, step tread edges, window surrounds etc This will be faster than a grinder profiler - its wet to start with and everything is held pretty well whilst it's cutting.

The variable speed grinder profilers are more flexible in so much as the can profile a curve or a product simply to large or thick to fit in the Dewalt - think along the lines of a 20mm thick single piece step tread at 1200mm long, something that wouldn't be possible with the fixed Dewalt wheel. These cannot be used in a regular angle grinder at 10,000rpm plus it's just too aggressive, you'll need a variable speed machine.

Any other questions just fire away.

Told you!!

C

Concrete guy

Click on my username and follow the links to our site - we currently have an eBay store whilst our website is being built.

You'll probably find you would use certain grades more than others as a rule of thumb think of the grades like this:-

50 & 100 grit are coarse, they would remove saw marks and level up any blemishes in the material.

200 & 400 grit will hone the material, you'd not need anything above 400 if you're matching a honed surface stone.

800, 1500 & 3000 polish the material to a high sheen

Buff - this is actually 10,000 grit with polishing compound built into the pad for that mirror like shine if required.

We sell sets of pads and we sell them individually.

We sell wet pads and Dry pads.

The coarse and grades of pads you use will vary by material so a full set of grits is a good place to start. We sell sets of 9 pads made up as follows:-

2x50
2x100
1 of each other grade up to 3000

This covers most eventualities.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to profiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Q
A customer asked me to lay a run of travertine window sill tiles with a half bullnose to match...
Replies
Views
C
Hi I have 6 bathrooms to do with 900x330mm ceramic tiles 160m2 of 900x600mm limestone I''ve...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
S
Hi all, 3 months ago we started a full house renovation that has consumed almost every working...
Replies
Views
Stanman
S
G
Hello all, I'm a complete newbie, and I really dont know much about tiling. Today I had my...
Replies
Views
jSPENCEINC
J
I
I received one of these last week, as I have a job this week that needs a lot of mitring as the...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB