Discuss project bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

sabre198

Hi Guys, will shortly be completing on my house and the first project is the Bathroom.Looking to complete this myself and a mate who has done lot of tiling over the years (no expert though).I've spent a fair bit of time in hotels so currently have a desire for a combination of black and white, I like the black tiles but as its a small room I fear more than one wall or floor will be too much.Looking for ideas really and advice from people who have done similarMay I present the bathroom as it is now in the attachent bathroomua.jpg so I'm looking to tile floor, walls, bath panel. convert radiator->heated towel railI have had a look at topps tiles and have been thinking of something like this: topps.png simple satin black tiles floor, white tiled walls. Looking for laying advice I think its floorboards and carpet currently. looking like will have to be 12mm ply, flexi adhesive and ceramic black tiles for floor.I have read all sorts on what to do and want to get all the materials ready. I dont mind paying for quality adhesives etc.Would appreciate any tips for this early stage planning to get the materials right, especially the floor (once I get the tiles off the walls I will know more whats under them)1. ply I assume is the 12mm exterior grade ply, screwed down onto the floor boards at 100 mm spacing (worried about door clearance any more than 12mm)2. what adhesive? and should I seal the ply with anything, whats recommended (I keep reading no PVA), do you prime under the ply (floorboard facing side )3. looking for suggestions for grouting (grey with black floor, what make ?)3. I have chose topps tiles for just easy of reference but am mindful that they may be rubbish, any suggestions?4. does black tiled floor go with 4 white tiled walls or should I make one wall black tiled also?I will keep this thread updated with any pics as I go, but looking to get the plan sorted in my head first and materials fully scoped outApologies if this seems noobish, I'm a first time buyer

S

sabre198

is there an edit button? lol I didnt realise it would post in one block

lets start with the floor for that is the first step. Looking for advice on laying black tiled floor.

1. ply I assume is the 12mm exterior grade ply, screwed down onto the floor boards at 100 mm spacing (worried about door clearance any more than 12mm)

2. what adhesive? and should I seal the ply with anything, whats recommended (I keep reading no PVA), do you prime under the ply (floorboard facing side )

3. looking for suggestions for grouting (grey with black floor, what make ?)

4. I have chose topps tiles for just easy of reference but am mindful that they may be rubbish, any suggestions?

5. does black tiled floor go with 4 white tiled walls or should I make one wall black tiled also?

G

Gazzer

1. Ok 12mm ply is too thin for BS. BS state min 15mm. You only need the ply if your floor has deflection/Bouncy ! If the floor is ok underneath then you could overlay with 6mm tile backer boards. These will not add strength but will give you a good surface to tile on to.

2, ignore untiil we know more details.

3. Adhesive and grout....SPF adhesive ( single part Flexible) There are 2 part adhesives too but SPF should be good enough dependant on question 1. Grout must be flexible too and Mapei have a great range of colours and highly recommended.

4. Always shop around, try the smaller independent shops, they can offer good deals. Don`t feel the need to buy everything from the same store. Sometimes you find they will give good prices on tiles but other items , grout adhesives etc could be a lot higher.

5. Taste and style is a personal thing but I have done many rooms as you describe and look great. Black and white is timeless.

S

sabre198

Thank you kindly for your reply.

I did think that ply may be overkill as the whole bathroom is only 1.8m x 1.7m including the bath, I would be surprised if the floor has much spring at all in this small area. How will I know? shall I wait until I have the old bath out and the carpet up to decide fully? I'm pretty sure its floor boards but how does one measure flex and decide if it warrants ply?

if backerboard I'm guessing it has to be something like aquapanel right?

G

Gazzer

No More Ply tile backer boards or Hardibacker boards.
The problem is that you wil not know what you are up against until you start the rip out but for the sake of the floor I would take old ply up and either overboard with backer boards or remove the old tongue and groove boards ( I assume they are T&G) and replace that with 22mmm ply screwed every 200mm to the joists to add strength and then 6mm backer boards to give a good tiling surface.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to project bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB