Discuss PVA plasterboard or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

this is sbr
sbr.jpg

D

dock

Very strange for a manufacturer to advocate the use of a PVA primer indeed a primer at all with a ready mixed adhesive. PVA is water sensitive and will reconstitute as the water contained within the adhesive hits it. This can also affect bond development at the adhesive/substrate interface leading to the formation of a much weaker bond than should be the case.

Normally when tiling with ready mixed adhesives its a good idea NOT to prime. Most decent ready mixed contain water retaining agents to control suction on porous surfaces so if you prime the drying time of the adhesive will be significantly extended because the polymer cannot start the cross linking process until water/moisture is lost from the adhesive. Where primimg is required i.e. particularly dusty plaster use a dilute acrylic or styrene butadiene rubber (sbr)

O

obobsmith

did my bathroom about a year n a half ago, all green plasterboard and its been fine, no priming, just straight onto the board. that was a tub adhesive.

rodgerq
Tubbed adhesive is fine without priming on plasterboard as long as the tiles are not too big. Green plasterboard is water resistant and whilst it may be fine it is like untanked PB not a long term solution it will get wet it will degrade and it should in an ideal world still be tanked round showers baths etc.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to PVA plasterboard or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I am a first time homeowner bathroom remodeler & tiler. I'm ready to waterproof my seams and...
Replies
Views

UK Tiling Forum Trending

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.