Discuss Question on UFH in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Has anybody installed porcelain over the JG Underfit system?

This has already been fitted between joists and then 18mm chipboard glued and screwed to joists. Plumber says to put insulation boards over top and tile and my supplier is saying Hardi and then tile.

Whats the best route, first time I have come across this system?

Cheers

John

I've only come across this type of heating upstairs once. I recommended hardie boards or at least plywood and insulation boards screwed every 150mm.

The customer had other ideas as they had been told the heat would only permeate upto 25mm. The pipework was stapled direct to the underside of the chipboard flooring (22mm) and allowing for the tiles and adhesive would already take the total depth to over the 25mm. I tried to convince the customer of the impending problems but they were very adamant, the people at the Ideal Homes expo had said etc etc etc.

In the end I was told to tile as per their instructions and ignoring my advice and experience they would take full responsibility.

Within six weeks all three bathroom floors had cracked exactly where I said they would. My name was mud with the customer as "I hadn't fully explained" luckily the main contractor had been present throughout our discussions and could back me up totally.

The customer learned an expensive lesson, but the moral is to make the proper preparations.

I personally would go hardie boards

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Question on UFH in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views
As an introduction, I'm a DIY home owner who has gutted the bathroom in a house built in 1980...
Replies
Views
Tony R
T
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, This is for a bathroom (including a bath). I have a buildup of timber joists / 22mm ply /...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB