Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Questions for TilersForums.co.uk? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Okay,

Had a bit of a brain wave.

I want you to all think of a few questions that you'd like tilersforums.com (me or Dave) to answer. We'll wait for a bunch of questions to get asked, and then I'll get a Poll added to The Arms so we can all vote on 'what questions we'll answer', and then we'll answer them. If loads of questions come through we'll answer as many as we can, if not many come through we'll perhaps scrap the Poll and answer them all for you. Though if we do this monthly or bimonthly I'm sure one day we will need a poll so that we're just answering the ones that will help the majority.

I'm going to get Dave's advice on the more tiler-based questions, though I'll be doing a video answering each question and will upload it to 'The Tube' (YouTube.com) and will link to them from The Arms on this forum.

Questions can be based around work, tiling, marketing, websites, or even questions about the forum or whatever.

The reason I wanted to do this was to try and help those that need advice on something that I think we can help with. And to give a personal touch to the response, and the one and only response (so not like the forum where you collate your own replies into one sort of big answer). Any silly questions will be removed and ignored (Wivers! lol).

I hope this works, and I'd like to think we'll get down to some nitty gritty information as a result of being asked various questions. Where responses require it, I'll get some information from our sponsors or general firms within our industry.

So think of it like some news / info you want to hear about, but the news / info is exactly what you're asking to hear about. Specifically for the tile industry, and more importantly, for YOU, our lovely members!

A few varied examples of questions to give you a clue as to what types of questions I'm looking for:-
  1. How do TilersForums Arms members get to be upgraded to TilersForums Trusted Advisors, and why isn't there a thread telling you how that's done?
  2. What really is the best tanking kit on the market?
  3. How would I go about re-branding my company to fit the current climate without using a company to help me that's going to charge me a fortune?
  4. Would you recommend keeping a database of customers that I've done work for, and if so, why?
And that sort of stuff. Anything at all that you think we'd be able to help with. After all, we have nearly a quarter of a million contributions to the forum and 12,659 ( to date ) members, and with that comes a lot of tile-related expert help and advice, and I'm pretty sure we could answer almost any question using our little network we have here.

So...... please reply with questions, as many as you can think of (and do think about them please!) and in a month or so we'll pull up this thread and see what we've got and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for reading. :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
great idea here's a few to start with-
1.is it worth paying loads of money for tools when starting out!
2.are websites really helping tilers gain work!
3.what are the 10 best wet/manual cutters on the market
4.how best to deal with problem customers(regards to oli's recent threads)
5.is a van neccesary when starting out?

EXCELLENT! Very quick reply for such good questions mate. If we get a bunch of people reply with 5 or so I'm sure we'll be able to get a Poll up next week and get answering them.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
3 what are british standards and how are they used for domestic tiling ?

That's a question and half, and you should all know the answer to that before picking up a trowel or customer. That said, I'll stick it in the Poll for you and we'll see if it gets in the set of questions I answer via Video. :)

J

jimbob

1. What is tanking and when to use it
2. When to seal and when not to
3. How to grout wash around electrical sockets without setting house on fire
4. Best way to grout a large floor (ie, do a bit, wash, do a bit more, wash OR, do it all, wash once.)

Slightly off topic, but just to throw an idea in.......in addition to the video answers, what about some video "masterclasses"?

ie. 1) Step by step grouting; 2) Correct adhesive application; 3) Trowel techniques; 4) Cutting backerboard etc.......??

Cheers :thumbsup:
Jimbob

W

wivers

1. When will tile training centers stop churning out so many tilers that the market gets completely flooded by people with only half an idea what to do and charge a pitance coz they are learning.

2. How can i win a customer round when i've already dropped my price 300 quid but they are telling me they've had lower estiamtes.

3. If i smack a customer in the face with my trowel exactly how many months/years would i do?

4. Will builders, plumbers and plasterers ever stop tiling themselfs and start handing out tiling work again.

5. Will Bal ever take responsability for their products failing.

6. If i belive a fault in underfloor heating is not down to me can i throw the accusing customer around their conservatory like a rag doll.

7. Is there any money left in tiling.

8. what are the chances my post gets wiped.

:) Rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

I have a very strong feeling that a lot of these questions the members of the Arms already know the answer too (even by the people asking). Also a lot of them are already answered in the main forum, I thought that was the point of the forum!

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're after questions that aren't the norm on here or maybe questions that members wouldn't ask in the main forum for fear of customers finding them?

My question - What the hell do you lot get up to in the secret 'Elite' room

G

Gazzer

I have a very strong feeling that a lot of these questions the members of the Arms already know the answer too (even by the people asking). Also a lot of them are already answered in the main forum, I thought that was the point of the forum!

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're after questions that aren't the norm on here or maybe questions that members wouldn't ask in the main forum for fear of customers finding them?

My question - What the hell do you lot get up to in the secret 'Elite' room

talk about you of course :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Questions for TilersForums.co.uk? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Which Tile Adhesive and grout brand did you use the most in the last 12 months? And also...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Staffordshire, UK
Website
https://www.tilersforums.co.uk
What member type are you?
  1. DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Business Name
Ekthetikos / untold.media

Thread Information

Title
Questions for TilersForums.co.uk?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.