UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Quick intro and a couple of qs (primer G and setting out) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

N!ck

Evening,
Quick intro; Ive been lurking on the forum for a few weeks in prep for a job I am doing on my kitchen tomorrow. Im an engineer by trade but have a couple of tiling projects under my belt ( full bathroom including tiled bath panel, and my mams kitchen). Having gained a lot of info from here I am planning on doing the best job I can tomorrow - 600x600mm porcelain onto a screed/slc floor - and there lies my first problem.

In preparation I have bought some Primer G to use before using keraquick adhesive. Do I need the Primer G? Having looked online on the data sheet http://www.mapei.com/public/COM/products/532_primer g_gb.pdf it makes no mention of using on screed in the application section. However in the Keraquick data sheet http://www.mapei.com/public/GB/products/103_Keraquick_UK.PDF it says anhydrite screeds must be dry etc and treated with primer G.

The second Q is about setting out; if I center the first tile in the doorway I will end up with approx a 120mm cut along a wall to the right. If I center 2 tiles (so the grout is in the center of the doorway) It obviously gives me a much larger cut but I am unsure if that will look unprofessional as you walk through the door. What would a pro do?

My final Q is also about setting out - hopefully the 3 quick diagrams explain my thoughts. Basically the width of X+Y+Z is grater than 1209mm (2x600mm + 3x3mm spacers). Also Y is where the oven is and is not central (there is a bigger gap to the left - X ). I am just after peoples opinions really, particularly myself and the mrs currently dissagree!

Thanks for your time :)
Nick

N

N!ck

Kitchen 1.jpg Kitchen 2.jpg Kitchen 3.jpg

N

N!ck

Sorry Jay, I havent been very clear, I also calculated wrong (I included the width of the grout x 3 when I would only need 1 x3mm grout gap). The width is greater than 2 tiles plus grout. This leaves me with the 2 options in post 2. I plan on tiling under the cabinets then placing the facias on top. Just really after opinions on what would look better out of those options.

Thanks deano :thumbsup: my next question is how should i dilute it?

Has anyone any idea what I should do with the doorway setting out?

Thanks for this fellas, very much appreciated.

N

N!ck

Well I was up until 1am finishing off and I am well happy with the result. Ended up setting them out as in the pic. I also have a new found respect for tilers - lugging them big tiles about all day is not easy on the back, and I only had about 10m2 to do, god knows what its like on a site.
Just one final question, the tiles I used are 600mm x 600mm porcelain from B&Q - "Loft coal floor tile". I can not see or feel any transit wax on them, and did a small water test earlier and after 2 hours, there was no absorption. Will they need sealing? SAM_1715.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Quick intro and a couple of qs (primer G and setting out) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I would just like to start off by saying that I've been in the construction industry...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I would just like to start off by saying that I've been in the construction industry...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all. I am a keen DIYer (at home) but have never tiled! I want to tile our small...
Replies
Views
First job with this type of stone (have laid floor and wall tiles several times successfully)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.