UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Raising a cement floor combined with chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Laurens

This weekend I removed the kitchen and exposed the floor, there was chipboard under the fake plastic tiles. I was hoping to be able to lay plywood but the chipboard was rotten all over the place so I removed it.

90% of the floor is open and is cement but on the right side of the kitchen there is still around 10cm of chipboard.See the following picture of the situation before I removed everything:
IMG_0053[1].jpg
As you can see there is a strip of chipboard on the right side. This chipboard is not rotten and the quality seems to be a lot better then the stuff I removed, I cannot remove this as it is supporting the wall. The rest of the chipboard is removed and the difference between the remaining chipboard and the cement is 4cm. The cement did dry fairly quick so I dont think there is moisture coming from below.

So the big question is how do I raise the floor with 4cm? Cement is not really an option as it takes to long to dry and my girlfriend is not a big fan of putting wood again. So I was advised to put 30mm SLC and then 10CM Warmup Insulation Board (so that the floor is not that cold). This will bring it to the same level as the remaining chipboard so I can tile the floor. The tiles on the chipboard wont be visible as there will be kitchen cabinets.

The cost for this is 245,- when buying from Topps Tiles. Is this a good idea or should I go for another option?

L

Laurens

Have been reading about this and it does sound very good and it is cheaper that the option advised by Topps Tiles.

A few questions:
1. Does the floor to be levelled? The floor is level but there are some round spots of 3cm where the cement is a ~5m higher.
2. If I understand it correct I tile this onto the floor, bind the boards with Marmox tape and then tile on it?
3. Their specification says that the floor tile should be at least 50x50, the tile I have is 45x45 I assume it is ok?

I wont do the final tile myself but I need to have the surface prepared.

The quality of the Marmox boards and the fact you can simply cut it almost sounds to good to be true.

Another small question, on the picture you can see the wall and the brown paper. On this brown paper there where tiles, what would be the best preparation be to re-tile?

L

Laurens

Ok so you are using 450mm tiles. so you have no issue with Marmox.

You have 2 options to prepare the floor before marmox.
1, remove high spots with grinder or rubbing stone.
2,apply self leveller before the marmox.
Thank you so much Sir Ramic.

So I have the following items on the list:
8x Marmox Board 30mm (1250 x 600mm) - about £100.
3x Bal Multibase Grey 25kg - Self levelling compound - about £83.

I will get the adhansive from B&Q and I am thinking about Mapei as that is recommended on quite a few sites. They also have Unibond but I cant find much about that.

L

Laurens

Ok good to know, I will stay away from Unibond then. B&Q has also Mapei and I will use that for both the adhesive and grout.

I am living in New Cross, London. There is a Topps Tiles and a Tile Giant around the place I live so I will get the Ultra Level it One from Topps Tiles. One bag covers 5m² at 3mm so I will get 3 of those bags to get 9mm and then 30mm Marmox boards. With the adhesive between the SLC and the Marmox I should get close enough to the 40mm.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Raising a cement floor combined with chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.