Discuss Raising a sink. Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Q

quackfly

hey all. im doing a bathroom floor in a few days and for the first time its up to me to remove the pedestal and bog. (ive always seemed to have plumbers do it for me) my questions are.
When re-fixing the toilet and pedestal do i attempt to get the holes in the tiles to match where the existing plugs for the screws are or do i drill a new hole and replace with new rawl plugs? I'm worried about drilling so close it only widens existing holes meaning any new fixings simply spin when im tightening the screws leaving everything loose and wobbly

And how can i raise the sink if theres an existing backsplash or the plumbing wont allow any movement?
I'm sure these are bread and butter issues but when you havent done it before it seems harder than it is no doubt. any comments most welcome. :)

M

mikethetile

if your over boarding and then tiling the sink bolts wont line up and will need new holes drilling , these will be raised enough not to break into the lower holes

if you have a pedestal to hide the pipework you can use flexi tap connectors to reconnect the taps

you will need to extend the pipe for the cistern, you can buy extender fittings and an off set multi kwick

if you are in doubt employ a plumber

Q

quackfly

thanks all. the loo isnt such a worry more the sink, a plumber it is i think. i havent seen the job as its a recommendation and i have it without putting in an estimate. im just trying to prepare for whatever i could face. what should i do about the fixings for the loo? im assuming the loo will sit very nearly exactly where it was and am concerned about reaming the existing holes too wide making them useless

S

SandyFloor

I'm reluctant to get involved in doing this as you should ( and I've done it a few times). The reason is you will have to buy the tools and fittings for it, probably make a few visits to and from the suppliers for fittings you didn't get the first time, spend hours doing the job and get stressed out over it and never be completely confident it's a sound job.

A plumber will take one look, probably have all the fittings and the job is done in no time. He should also be able to do the job so the stuff is easily removed and refitted when you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Hi qauckfly

First of all its the toilet soil pipe and the basin waste you need to worry about, alot of plumbers just silicone a toilet cistern or basin to the wall. (not me though unless the fixing holes are shot).

Does the soil pipe go through the wall or into the floor?

Same question for the basin waste?

The toilet pan connector will need to be changed regardless, they seldom seal if you try and use them again unless very new. You don't want to get a call back in a few weeks for a leaking pan connector.

If the basin waste exits through the wall a 20mm difference will cause big problems, you need a telescopic P trap solve this.

There MAY be enough movement in the copper pipes feeding the hot and cold (also toilet) to allow for increased height, if not you will need to lengthen the pipe and if not fitted a good time to install service valves.

If they have a combi boiler then just turn the water off but if they have an open vented system you need to find the gate valve for the hot in the airing cupboard, if this passes (likely!) then bung the tank.

Hope this helps, I often do this job for tilers.

Last edited:

Reply to Raising a sink. Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new here and I need some desperate help. Recently got my dad to tile my kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, new to the forum, nice to meet you. A tiler recommended to bring this question...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Raising a sink. Help!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.