Discuss Random Thought About Primer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

J Sid

I would have thought it's because the adhesive manufacturers have manufactured there adhesive to bond to different tile materials.
A general purpose adhesive for ceramic.
A porcelain adhesive and one for stone.

This gives three adhesive, each with one bottle of primer to suit and jobs.

I am sure they could make an adhesive to suit all applications, stone onto screed, ceramic onto plaster, porcelain onto cement board. This would mean 10's of different bags need to be stock by each shop for each adhesive manufacturer, not practical.

May be wrong, but does bal's white star tubed adhesive not have a primer built-in so not need to prime walls? Don't use it, but thought I read once it was a new formula?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tile Shop

Most readymixed adhesive are acryllic based. It would be wrong to use the term "self priming", but it is the acryllic that forms the bond to the substrate once the water content had dispersed. Hence why they will stick to most porous wall surfaces.

Alot of cement based adhesives are polymer-modified, which means they can have additional rubberised bonding agents for impervious substrates or tiles, and to add the flexibility. But again, it won't prime a surface.

If it did, you could use it direct on gypsum, but we all know that doesn't work (unless a seperate acryllic primer is used first!). The built in polymers enhance the physical properties, but won't form the barrier needed between the cement and the Gypsum to prevent the chemical reaction and crystallisation.

Thanks BAL for helping me look knowledgable :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Random Thought About Primer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB