Discuss RCD trips Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

RCD trips Discussion ThreadRCD trips Electrical Advice

Hello
Elderly woman here, read lots of forums like this looking for advice but currently none the wiser,!
I had Led PIR lights installed recently, replacing old pir security lights and an old decorative light at the front door all using the original wiring. An electrician did the work. The lights run off my upstairs light circuit re the security lights...the front door light is via a switch by the front door. Electrician told me he found two wires, earth's in the old lights, not connected, so connected them. That night, my RCD, central in my fusebox, supposedly not protecting the side the light circuit is on, tripped. It had rained. Since then, the RCD trips constantly. The electrician who changed the lights came out , disconnected the wires from the one light, but left the others, saying it's not his work that caused the fault and to find another spark. Another lad came, did some remedial work in the house and left. That night, the RCD tripped again. The second spark returned and worked really hard and totally professionally, testing every time he did any, all over 2 days, finding numerous faults using a multi meter and additionally undoing all my sockets finding loose earths and broken sockets. All dealt with.
2.5 days later, as in last night, it rained overnight and I got up to no electricity again . He tells me that as the fault seems to be N to E, that a new CU with RCBOs will show more easily where the fault is. He is not giving me any hard sell re the CU by the way, but..It rained today..I'm home, no RCD trip. I'm many hundreds of pounds down presently and looking at getting the upgraded CU but with an honest opinion from the spark that there's no guarantee this will cure the problem. Sorry for the very long story, but does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong,?
Thanks
Jan

RCD trips for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to RCD trips Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Lou

Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
RCD trips Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond