UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Re grouting and siliconing of tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

surflaur

I have just been round to quote on removing grout and silicon in a domestic bathroom and shower, about 10m square.

The tiling is really bad, only done 18 months ago so the customer doesn't want it doing again.

I haven't got a clue how much to charge or how long it will take. I've guestamated 2 days work and to charge a day rate plus materials?

Does anyone know the best way of removing the old silicon and what is the best tool for removing the grout?

Cheers Laur

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
There are grout removal tools and silicone removal tools on the market. Checkout tradetiler.com for a 'grout rake' and then do a google for 'silicone removal tool'. It's a bit of a nightmare job that if I do say so myself. You could chip or mark the tiles when you're removing the grout. The silicone can be cut away with a fresh stanley blade and some elbow grease but the grout is a pig if it's a good grout. Also, the Fein Multimaster has a grout removal tool with the tilers version of the kit but it's pricey.

E

Elliott

Just regrouted my bathroom over easter, used a stanley blade in a window scraper to remove the bulk then silicon remover to remove thin bits. Took 4 days to remove grout in 18m2 of 200x250 tiles wall and 4m2 200x200 floor. Tried rake - wore down blade very quickly, dremmel tools - plaster board cutter was good but too long, others chipped and ran into tiles. diamond tipped blade in handle was the most effective but most time consuming and gave you 'the claw'.

I would never do this type of job for a customer - my nose is still recovering even with a mask on!

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Still gotta be carefull, even good tradesmen drop clangers, seen it happen loads of times, different story if they are there with you doing donkey work, but i would be carefull about sending anyone on behalf of yourself, especially if you have no insurance for them, Trust only yourself are good words of wisdom, you said it before theres only you to worry about then

T

tjsmiler

Laur..... if i was you i would give the customer a dirty look and tell him he smells then walk away, when you get to the end of his path you could through a brick through his window. He should get the message that you really really don't want to be doing this job.

Leave it well alone mate.... you are asking for serious trouble with work like this.

PS: Give his cat a good kicking just for good measure!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Re grouting and siliconing of tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Evening all! We recently had our bathroom renovated, the Plumber/Tiler we hired to do it was a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.