Discuss Re-tiling bathroom. Need some advice please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

davestephens0

Hi,

Now that Christmas is over, my wife has tasked me with the job of retiling our main bathroom (how kind). I have a question about cutters.

I will be tiling the floor and the walls. As can be expected, she has picked out these "designer" wall tiles

Would a standard cutter be sufficient for both these types of tiles. I am looking at this Portable-Wet-Saw, it is at the lower end of the cutters available, but would it be upto the job? I don't mind spending a bit more if it will give a better end result.

Are there any other tools I will need to prevent me turning these very expensive tiles into sawdust or putting them on back to front?

If you need any more info, please ask

Cheers
Dave

G

grumpygrouter

For cutting the tiles that you have selected Dave, a normal good quality manual cutter will suffice such as a Montolit. These though can be a bit pricy if you are only doing the occassional job. Porcelain tiles are much harder than ceramic tiles and the size of tile you have selected would possibly make you struggle on your selected wet saw.

if you have a CTD near to you, you may be able to hire appropriate cutters, and they would also have a good selection of tiles too. They would be able to advise on an approriate cutter for your porcelain.

D

Deleted member 1779

Oh and if its a one off project you will need to cut holes into your tiles for:

a) Standard service pipes (waste, radiator, tap feeds, shower head)
b) Fixtures & fittings (6mm light duty for accessories and 8mm for load bearing)

We do an "all in one" solution for a bathroom called the BFKMX or Bathroom Fitters Kit.

kit2.jpg

£49.99

Is a seven piece set of tile drills which if purchased separately from Screwfix the price works out at £120 so this kit represents excellent value for money.

D

Deleted member 1779

Dave one other thing I thought I would add is that for the sake of the project, if its a one off, then it may be easier, cheaper, quicker to hire a tiler to come do the work for you.

The money you lash out on tools might instead cover the cost of labour, plus with a hired gun they will bring experience ensuring your tiles are not sawdust.

I did the same myself and made myself busy supplying the tiler with help plus tea and coffee.

Just a thought

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Re-tiling bathroom. Need some advice please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB