Discuss Rectangular cut-out in the middle of rectangular tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richardkear

Hi all,
What it the best way to cut a rectangular hole in the middle of a rectangular tile.
The tile is a ceramic 500 x 250 and the hole in the middle of the tile is approx 200 x 100 in the same orientation.
It is for a flush plate and will be covered but.... I would like to do a quality cut.
I thought about a diamond drill in one corner and ceramic jig saw blades.
I even seen a video on u-tube of a guy plunge cutting on a wet saw after removing the guard!!! :dizzy2:
Considered water jet cutting to but isn't that expensive ???

Any ideas most welcome...

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
If you want a perfect edge, I use a makita tile/glass cutter, the blade is 80mm so will cut the short side too from the face, I used it here to insert one of the borders as a decor tile,invaluable for certain jobs Tiles 040.jpg

G

Gall.B

i do it with my 4" grinder with a good diamond disc. i cut out what i can from the face then turn over to finish from underneath. you will need a steady hand and may be worth practicing with some scrap. have a good look at the cut from your disc as they often have a cleaner cutting edge on one side

Same as Mike for me. make sure you wear goggles and cut outdoors

D

Deleted member 1779

We usually suggest drilling out the four corners first into a curved shape. The 16mm drill gives best eyeball contact. 8mm is smaller.

Then put tile over the diamond blade of the tile cutter to take out the edges. Something like this:

Dsc09479.jpg

1) Mark out tile

Dsc09480.jpg

2) Drill starter holes into the four corners (16mm diamond core - or 8mm diamond core bit)

Dsc09463.jpg

3) Drill all four holes out and wash off.

Dsc09491.jpg

4) Use a straight fixed blade cutter blade to cut between the holes.

tiler2.jpg

Or an angle grinder if the tile is soft.

Dsc09484.jpg

Having the holes pre-drilled gives two advantages:
1) You will not "over run" with the blade. And score the tile
2) You can visually look through the holes to line up the blade. You cant get it wrong.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Rectangular cut-out in the middle of rectangular tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Beginner DIY Tiler, I'm contemplating drilling (with ceramic tile carbide tipped drill bits)...
Replies
Views
Are there any BS standards covering this please I have recently had 3 sides of a shower tiled...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I finally have some walls and levels to work off for setting out. Here's the wall I...
Replies
Views
J
Hello all, I'm part way through a tiling job (floor and wall tiles) and I need to start thinking...
Replies
Views
J Sid
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Rectangular cut-out in the middle of rectangular tile
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.