UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Rectified Tile edges in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Shyde15

I have just had some rectified tiles laid, which are 60x30cm Grey Karin Anthracite Lappato Procelain floor tiles. Problem is The tile is Anthracite the grout is anthracite to match and I asked the shop I bought them from would I see the white biscuit edge and he said "no because the grout would be flush with the tile". Well the tiles were laid and I can see the white biscuit edge. The shop and manufacturer are saying it is the tilers fault because he has not laid the grout flush and the tiler is blaming the tile because there is a slight white bevel edge on the tile about a 2/3rds of the tile is cut perfectly vertical and then 1/3 white bevel at between 45-50 degrees, Who's right and who's wrong should there be a bevel and is it within a tolerance of a rectified tile.

Please help
Steve

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
It's very difficult, nigh on impossible to have perfectly flush joints. If it's a floor then flush grout joints will wear down anyway, plus it gets dirtier quicker (appreciate your grout is dark though).

Some rectified tiles are a nightmare for the glaze not carrying round far enough.
Or maybe the tiles haven't been laid very flat and that is causing the problem.
As said need pics really.

Last edited:
S

Shyde15

It's very difficult, nigh on impossible to have perfectly flush joints. If it's a floor then flush grout joints will wear down anyway, plus it gets dirtier quicker (appreciate your grout is dark though).

Some rectified tiles are a nightmare for the glaze not carrying round far enough.
Or maybe the tiles haven't been laid very flat and that is causing the problem.
As said need pics really.

how do I upload a photo???

S

Shyde15

IMG_2874.jpg IMG_2871.jpg IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

Here are the Photos I took

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
The joints are a lot lower than I would leave them but as Whitebeam says - there is no colour on some of the edges so your tiler had an impossible task. I'd like to think as a tiler I would spot it before laying but that's only because I've had this problem in the past and look for it now. Have seen it on more and more rectified tiles recently.

B

Bubblecraft

The grout does look quite low but as above, the tiler had an impossible task to try & hide the white biscuit edge. More so because it beveled.
The tile shop is in the wrong as you clearly asked if the biscuit edge would be seen after grouting which they replied no. You were wrongly advised.
It's between yourself & the shop.

You can blame them for being wrongly advised & they can say to you that you were aware of the biscuit edge before purchase.

I wouldn't blame the tiler

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Rectified Tile edges in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.