Discuss Refitting Towel Rail after Tiling - Shortening Brackets in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

As some of you will know, I thought I had caught a cold when I initially fitted a chrome towel rail prior to tiling just to position the pipework in the solid floor.

I must have had a senior moment as I completely overlooked the need to allow for the thickness of the tile. The last time the customer specified a towel rail in their new wetroom I remembered to allow for this. I can't think what came over me this time:mad2:

cornish_crofter-albums-towel-rail-bracket-trimming-picture22270-006.jpg

This towel rail is pretty standard in construction. Pretty much every other standard house will have one. They look expensive to some but they are actually very reasonably priced and therefore popular.

Anyway, I asked for a few ideas and someone suggested cutting the brackets shorter.

Rather than attack the brackets with a hacksaw, I used one of these.

cornish_crofter-albums-towel-rail-bracket-trimming-picture22267-013.jpg

Not a great picture I know but what you see there is an adjutable pipe slice. As I do a fair bit of plumbing etc I have a handful of these. This is a Rothenburger, which are a bit like Rubi for plumbing but you can get cheaper.

More importantly, it represents a much quicker and better alternative to cutting this plastic than using a hacksaw.

The approach I employed to get this right is as follows.

1) Make sure the rail is vertical.

2) Offer the insert (male component) up to the rail to locate as it would when holding the towel rail in position, then measure the gap between the end of the insert and the wall. Add this measurement to the length of your insert and that gives you the length you need the sleeve or female part (that screws to the wall) to be.

cornish_crofter-albums-towel-rail-bracket-trimming-picture22268-007.jpg

You'll have to forgive me for not showing the tape measure in the picture. I don't have 3 hands, yet, but I am working on it :lol:. However you can see the gap between the end of the insert and the face of the tile. Measure that and then hold the insert alongside the sleeve and use the tape to measure off the part of the female component to cut off. Doing it this way removes the guesswork involved in trying to get a dimension from one curved reference (towel rail bar).

3) When you've marked off the sleeve, measuring twice of course, then simply use the pipeslice to cut the sleeve to give you the result below.

cornish_crofter-albums-towel-rail-bracket-trimming-picture22265-009.jpg

4) Trial fit the insert into the sleeve with the fixing screw and washer in place....

cornish_crofter-albums-towel-rail-bracket-trimming-picture22269-012.jpg

You may find that the insert bottoms out before the shoulder of the insert hits that of the sleeve. If so, then you will need to use your pipeslice to cut a few mm off the end of the insert to allow it to sit squarely on the shoulder of the sleeve.

After that it is just a case of repeating the above for the remaining brackets. The only extra operation that may be needed is to redrill new fixing holes through the sleeve into the insert with the insert in the correct postion to accept the towel rail.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I must have had the shakes whilst taking them! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

Quite alright.

To be fair you may come across a situation where the towel rail is already up and there is no room for manovre for the pipes to move it when you've tiled behind it, or you need to fit a towel rail and the pipes coming out of the floor would have the rail a bit closer to the wall than the brackets would allow.

Just because I was kak handed in making more work for myself and had to do it, it doesn't mean that you'll need to be kak handed to have to do this! :LOL:

C

cornish_crofter

It wasnt the length it was the bag of rapidset that was stuck under them i noticed!!!!!!!!!!!!

More than likely grout mist. I had just wiped down the tiles. The grout had been fully done but there is always that mist that has to come off when the grout has set fully.

Anyway, why am I on here defending my nails when I try and help you lot - I don't know!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL:

Reply to Refitting Towel Rail after Tiling - Shortening Brackets in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello, as a novice, I need some advice. Our landscapers have been doing a fantastic job so far...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope you can help. I'm get despondent cutting 9mm glazed porcelain tiles, 300 x 900mm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Refitting Towel Rail after Tiling - Shortening Brackets
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.