Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Refused a job, think I did the right thing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bolter

Had a very good friends parents call me a couple of weeks back and asked me if I could re-tile their en-suite as I had done a really nice job on their kitchen. They have this en-suite, and they are stripping the tiles, and fitting in a window and a fan to a room which previously had neither.

No problem I said, and popped over. At this stage tiles were fixed to the wall, and the new window wasnt in. I told him I couldnt give a quote as I needed to see the tiles, and the state of the walls underneath the tiles. I measured up, and left.

Got a call to say that they had had the window fitted, and got some tiles and also had removed some of the tiles, so I popped round again.

Previous tiler had tiled on top of a layer of tiles, on top of pretty old skim with cracks running through it floor to ceiling and left to right across the wall. All walls were bowed, lumpy and basically not flat in any way.

I offered to dot and dab new boards, ensuring flat walls and tiles that stay put! But he gave me that look like Im trying to rip him off, despite my advice to the contrary. I tell him that, with respect, tiles dont bend, and I will not be able to achieve a result I would want paying for without proper preparation. He then glossed over this and said something like "i have every faith in you" which is very nice, but Im not in the business of packing out tiles all day long, and said that if preparation is not done, I will have to pull out of the job, he called my bluff again, and I walked.

See my missus says "but money is money" but a) I think I would have lost money on that job b) i dont want everything falling off the walls!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
No need to say what's been said already from me. :)

But I will.

No point working for nothing and having the worry at the end of it too. He'd be saying "I have every faith in you" on a regular basis when you keep going round there to do lots of small repair jobs on it.

On the flip-side. Hopefully he'll have a couple of quotes and get you to do the job still anyway once he realises you weren't talking rubbish.

I can't understand why they'd go through so much effort to stick a window in, and a fan, and pull off layers of tiles, but not re-board which would be quicker than all the above. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

R

Rob Z

Bolter-good call. :thumbsup:

Just yesterday, I spoke with a former customer that needs some work done at his house. I explained what we needed to do and he seemed ok with it. Then, he called back and told me that his neighbor said that I shouldn't be worried about such-and-such, and just do the work "his" way ...blah blah blah.:prrr:

Now, the neighbor is just wrong. So I politely said "I don't know how your neighbor got his information, but it simply isn't correct", and left it there. Fortunately, my customer is going to let us do the work our way.

But it doesn't always go that way. I've done as you have here with this job, and even when I definately needed the work.

This situation is the tradesman's version of "Pearls Before Swine", and if they don't get it now, they might just get it after the work is done to a poor standard and they then see what you've been talking about. Or, they might not ever get it.

But at least your name won't be on it.

M

mikethetile

I priced a bathroom about 12 months ago but they balked at my spec and costs, they had it done on the cheap, I was there yesterday because it has leaked into the kitchen and they need it fixing, the price has now increased............:smilewinkgrin:

I love these cowboys, they just give us more and more work.

:8:
your not wrong there Dom

its the bad tradesmen that keep the good tradesmen busy

S

SandyFloor

If someone wants something done on the cheap and you're not comfortable just walk away explaining your reasons as you did. Obvioiusly they don't have faith in you as they ignored your advice. The ridiculous thing is fixing new plasterboard isn't that expensive especially when you could then guarantee a good job. Added to that it would have saved you time and adhesive.

I know it's not easy to turn down work but if you went ahead as they wanted I'm fairly sure it would have come back on you on many levels.

You have to be careful with the family and friends thing. I tend to avoid it.

Reply to Refused a job, think I did the right thing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Refused a job, think I did the right thing
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.