Discuss Regal Vanilla Rock 30x60 sku 811631 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I've just completed a wetroom walls & floors in Regal Vanilla Rock tiles from Topps. These are the mat finish tiles that are very rough to touch. Nice tiles to cut, but a right bugger to grout. I tried to clean them before grouting. I used a trusted blue microfibre cloth (from Screwfix). The surface of the tile tore the cloth to shreds. There were blue fibers floating around the room for ages. I then had brush and hoover the walls and floor. I then applied 2 coats of BAL pre seal and waited an hour for it to dry.

I then mixed up white grout (Weber joint pro) to quite a thick consistency and grouted just over 1sqm. Using a slightly damp sponge (I don't use washboy anymore) I attempted to clean the surface of the tile. The sponge fared a bit better than the microfibre cloth, but it was still being eaten away by the tile. After 3 more wipe downs (because grout was embedded in the grooves of the tiles) I decided to stop (did not want to over wash the grout) I would say I have about 95% of the grout removed from the face of the tiles, but tiles are still drying with an ever so light haze. Will return when the bathroom is fitted to wash down walls with a grout haze cleaner.

It was like (I would imagine) trying to grout paving slabs a real nasty tile to grout. This is my warning to anyone else out there that has to deal with these tiles.

So, did I do anything wrong? I was contemplating taping up around the grout lines with duct tape then grouting, but that seemed like too much hard work.

I knew that these tiles would be difficult to grout, but it was worse than I had imagined.

Anyone else had these tiles?

S

Stef

Used them last couple of jobs I have done.
Didn't have much bother with them tbh but they do need a good wash down as they are a rough tile.
This floor is vanilla rock with Bal superflex,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428580745.790806.jpg

The middle tiles above the bath on this job are rock but different colour, grouted with grout 3000,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428580854.050005.jpg

Used a couple of terrible tiles from Topps, a lot worse than these.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Regal Vanilla Rock 30x60 sku 811631 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Grouting with a microfibre cloth. I stopped using a washboy a couple of years ago. I've now...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
H
Hi Guys, think I made a boo boo. I've put up about 15 sq.m. of 600 x 300 V and B porcelain tiles...
Replies
Views
Tiled the walls of a bathroom last week with 60 x 30 white ceramics from b n q.I removed all...
Replies
Views
P
My goodness - what a palaver!! So, I've been tiling my own wet-room with TOPPS 60x30 Polished...
Replies
Views
Billy Hunt
B
K
No matter how good you are at whatever job you do,sometimes you will make mistakes.Just...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB