Discuss Regrouting work. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cr0ft

Hello all. Doing some work for Topps Tiles who have asked me to go and quote for some repair work to a tiling job done by one of their 'approved fitters'. Basically the customer isn't happy as the tiler has: -

1.) Not grouted properly. I guess by this they mean that the joints are not 'full' of grout. Topps Tiles want all the grout raked out and done properly - around 6sq m of 30x30 tiles I believe.

2.) Tiled over the threshold area. The doorway tiles need to be lifted, re-cut and obviously re-laid. Around 4 tiles with cuts around the doorway I guess.

My issues are: -

1.) How many hours is it reasonable to quote for this work? I don't need to know prices really as that depends on where in the country we all are, just a realistic amount of hours as I haven't done regrouting work before.
2.) Does anyone know of a tool that speeds the grout removal up? I was thinking of using my Fein Multimaster with carbide grinding tool attachment (carefully).

I'm viewing tomorrow PM so if anyone can voice their thoughts fairly quickly I'd appreciate it.

T

Time's Ran Out

If its Topps who are paying you and you are anticipating more work from them, then keep it keen - its a days work whatever rate you charge!

Remember they have recommended the first tiler so if you do the job for a 'I'll help you out price' you should earn some brownie points.

If it's a one off and you don't want any more work from them or your not keen on getting the job - go in with a daft price.

C

cr0ft

Hi, went to view the job today. Topps want me just to regrout it but the job is awful. For a start, the 60x30cm tiles are laid directly on the floorboards with only (according to the customer) a rubber solution painted on the floorboards - some sort of decoupling product I'm guessing. Secondly, the tiles are visibly out of alignment. Grout line width ranges from 3mm to 8mm in varying parts of the floor. Lippage is anywhere from nothing up to 5mm.

Cracks are already appearing in the grout, I'm guessing these are caused by movement in the floorboards.

I think I am going to recommend to Topps that it needs to be ripped back to the joists and thick plywood installed prior to retiling. I don't feel very happy just regrouting it as (with 11sq m and a few tiles to recut) I think its close to 3 days of work really by the time all that sanded grout is cut out.

I don't want to hack Topps off as they pass me quite a bit of work but I don't want to cut corners to rectify the job I guess.

B

Brinkley

best thing to do is ask a manager to visit the clients house with you explain and describe all the faults to the manager and tell them the way it should be fixed im sure any one with a know how of tiling will agree with you.
DONT just remove grout etc you will be covering up a problem maybe for a week or two at the most.
Its your name at the end of the day and in this climate reputation needs to be protected.
good luck

Reply to Regrouting work. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Regrouting work.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.